"-And do you know what's the worst thing? I should be mad! I am mad! Yet, I'm more happy that you're alive, that you're actually here..." she reaches to play with her hair, a habit she did when she was stressed. She pouts as she realize her hair is back into a dutch braid. 

"Pearl, can we go together to Skyler's store? It's still open right now right?" I sigh. I can't let myself to tell her everything even though I really want to. I can't bring Pearl into whatever I'm in the middle of. She's not involved with the mafia, and I intend to keep it that way. 

"Yeah, let's go." She cleans up with her handkerchief. Packing her belongings, we go to the parking lot. She still drives her black Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. 

"You have questions, and I have questions." I eventually say on our way to the store. "We can take turns if you want." 

"Sure," she nods. "I just need to warn you about Skyler. He's...different from the person you've last seen."

"Different how?"

"First off, he went through puberty. I mean his voice changed before you...left, but that wasn't all that changed. He's shot up to 6'0." He's still as hot as before you know," she winks at that statement. "Well, he's..you're going to have to meet him to understand what I mean by different. He's more...dark."

"Okay? What have I missed?" I inwardly cringe at my seemingly happy tone.

"That question is going to take so long to answer. I'll tell you what you've missed in my life first. Let's see, you left in freshmen year. Your disappearance was very lowkey, suspiciously lowkey." With no warning, she punches my arm hard. 

"Ow!" I rub my arm painfully.

"That's for never telling us you were Viviana Ricca, not Shay Ricca. Ricca, as in the Ricca family. Did you really believe we wouldn't find out? Skyler is a conspiracy buff along with mad computer skills. I am your best friend. We found out after a bit of snooping."

"Oh. Actually, Shay is my middle name, named after my grandmother. I wasn't exactly hiding the fact about my family; I just ommitted some details." 

"Besides finding out about that alterego of yours, Sky and I graduated early from that wretched high school. I guess you were a good influencer and motivator since we finally put our big brains to use. We both have one more year before we graduate with our bachelor's. It's not like we're bragging because we had the credits completed." She adds with a light laugh.

"What are you two studying?" 

"Nu-uh," she shakes her head at me. "I'm asking a question: Why did you leave us?"

"My mom broke the code of silence. Everyone is supposed to abide by the rules of omerta, the Mafia code of silence, so they can survive. My mom has always been smart; she knew her role and place." I briefly consider giving details, but choose not to. "She broke it, and this was punishable by death. That wasn't the worst thing. My dad betrayed her first and was the reason that she risked her life for him. The.." My voice breaks as I think about what happened.

"Hey, we can discuss this later..."

"I didn't want to leave you and Sky. I left to protect you two in a way. My mom and I went into hiding because...Sorry give me a moment." I take a deep breath. 

"It's okay." She pats my shoulder. "It's--"

It happens so suddenly. It seems like deja vu all over again. We are rammed by a car on my side. Then, the car is rolling. All I hear is broken glass, screams, and screeches among the noise. My forehead collides with the dashboard, blinding me temporarily. I'm thrown all over, but manage to stay restrained with my seat belt. 

The last thing I see is Pearl sitting unconsiously next to me with a deep gash on her forehead. Her chest is rising and falling ever so slightly, indicating signs of life. I smile slightly. My neck and back is burning and stiff as I look at my right side. All I see is red. I blink a few times, but the color remains vividly in my eyes. I stare at the broken glass all over the car, some shards sticking in my body. I almost lose myself in the reflected light of the shards as they seem to shine beautifully. Once more, I peel my eyes away and observe my injuries. My body is losing a lot of blood, so much I'm sure that this is finally where I will take my last breath. 

There are footsteps and shouts outside as people spot the totaled car on the road. 

"There are people inside!"

"You! Call 911!"

"Get something to pry the doors open!"

Maybe Pearl will be saved. Her injuries appear less life-threatening compared to mine. 

There are a few grunts before Pearl's door flies open. A few men dressed in some uniform unbuckle her and carry her outside. I sure hope they are paramedics. Black spots dance in my eyesight. I blink them slowly away, but they stay there. My door flies open shortly as a few people start grabbing me.

"Careful!"

"Sweetie, can you hear me? I need you to stay awake. I need you to--" A middle-aged lady of asian descent assertively stares at me. Her brown eyes flash determinedly as we stay in eye contact. Her voice seems to come and go. I can't focus on her words. Everything seems to be moving slowly. 

She probably knows I have no hope as she examines my wounds. I glance at the ambulance truck I'm in. 

"How's Pearl?" I think I manage to word. Then again, I could be muttering gibberish. 

 I succumb to the darkness once more.