Chapter 3

"Hello Shay!" Jacob skips by my side and slings his arm comfortably around my shoulders. I automatically inch away from his touch and shake his arm away.

I grimace and nod, hoping maybe that will be some indication that I don't want to be near him or talk to him.

"No hi? Aw, shucks!" He pouts, which is adorable on him but I would never admit it out loud.

I frown and shrug.

"Sheesh, not much of a talker are you?" He rests his arm on my shoulder once more. The contact makes my skin crawl as I move his arm away. I've never been one for physical contact.

"So, anyways," he begins, but stops midway when the Elite prance towards our direction. I silently pray that they just walk past and ignore us. I'm too beneath them for their attention, literally and figuratively. Thankfully, they are not bullies. However, they aren't the most genial.

I'm not going to mention that their name is rather unoriginal. Anyways, this is basically the "popular group" you would see in a normal high school, except we aren't a normal school.

The Elite is a group of powerful, smart students who run the school due to their genetic lottery. The leaders are James Wellington and his twin sister Wren Wellington. I think they are a group of thirteen right now. This group is part of a high-profile exclusive club at the academy. Those in the club receive benefits that most can only dream of. You only get in with money, looks, talent, or all of the above. Well, you can apply, but they usually don't accept anyone. I've seen them only invite people once.

James and Wren Wellington are the children of Wellington Enterprises, the company that owns a large chain of global businesses. They have model looks, the brains, and the power. It makes my skin crawl at how seemingly perfect they are. It is unnatural. However, I've done my research and know the dirt on almost everyone here; they are not exceptions.

They aren't completely perfect. Cue my evil laughter.

They stop right in front of me and look directly at Jacob. Of course, they ignore me completely.

"Hi, you must be Jacob Smith." Wren smiles and flashes her pearly whites. I can see her flirtatiousness coming out. She sticks out a perfectly-manicured hand out for him to shake. He does.

"I am." Jacob nods curiously. I am betting they want to include him in their private society. Jacob has the looks, even rivaling James. James and Wren are the best looking students in our student body. It's that golden ratio. 

I'm James Wellington, and this is my twin sister Wren Wellington." James gestures toward his sister. "We are here to welcome you to our school, almost like a welcoming committee if you say. I've heard quite a bit about you already."

"All good things of course?" Jacob grins unfazed at their brilliance. I almost need sunglasses to block their sparkly auras. 

"Why, yes of course," Wren giggles and flips her long silky blonde locks over her shoulder. "So, have you seen the football stadium or the pool here? It's quite amazing. Here, James and I can show you." She skillfully manipulates him. I'm sure she's just itching to add him into her collection of boy toys (I'm being serious here).

She's going to casually mention about the Elite Society. Her manicured hands latch onto Jacob's arm as she brings him away from me. I frown slightly at the sudden feel of emptiness as he leaves my side. My frown deepens as I realize I'm frowning at hisdisappearance in the first place. 

"Wait," he pauses and glances at me. "I'm sure Shay can tour me around too." I spot something in his eyes, though I'm not quite sure what it is as he glances away from me. I feel dread in my stomach as the two of them direct their attention on me. I don't shrink away; I've faced worse than two teenagers glaring at me with death looks, or that they seem to look at me like a cockroach.

With only ten days left, I'm going #yolo. I won't bother hiding my true nature.  Due to my naiveté, I tried to play along with thedisguise my mother created, but it is unnecessary. Yes, I said yolo because it's true-you only live once. It's not like I'm every coming back.

"Who?" Wren and James exchange confused looks. I doubt they even noticed me. I'm not even sure if they see me as a student here or as a being that doesn't even exist in their eyes.

"Shay Kerr," Jacob raises an eyebrow.

I can see the gears clicking as they realize I'm Shay Kerr, the one who always manages to score first on our finals and beats them every year. The students' scores and names are posted on scoreboards every year. Since I have plenty of time to myself, it's not difficult to do well on the exams. The end result is that everyone is competitive and the top scores usually can get into the Elite Society. However, it is biased so I've never been invited.

They hate me, which is fine since I don't like them much too.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't see you there." Wren frowns and appears sad. I didn't know she could feel that emotion. They are all cold-blooded snakes.

"I'm sure Shay has some other business she needs to take care of right?" James says.  

"Yeah, more important than y'all." Well, excuse me. I roll my eyes and turn around. It is a blessing in disguise. Jacob has been a bother anyways. I start walking away from them without so much of a nod in their direction. Let's see how they feel when someone ignores their existence.

II'm not blind to the stares and whispers behind my back. The students can't help but want to know every little drop of gossip about them. The Elite Society are celebrities in their own right. They're looking at me as if I'm insane for not kissing the grounds beneath their feet. I could be.

Someone grabs my shoulder and yanks me around. The person touching me is going to regret it.

"Calm down," Jacob's eyes widen as he stares at my furious expression and fist ready to pounce.

"Weren't you about to leave with those two?" I point to the Wellington twins standing across the hallway with slack jawed and dazed expressions.

"I like you better," he shrugs and slings his arm around me yet again. I stare at him as if he is an alien. Who passes off the opportunity to be popular, rich, and powerful? The Elite have huge worldwide connections and he just threw it away. I'm not flattered; I'm horrified. Everything Jacob has done has been the complete opposite of what I have calculated.

"I-" My mouth opens and closes. I'm speechless for once.

"Well, aren't you going to show me around the wondrous football stadium and beautiful pool?" He raises his voice higher to copy Wren, even adding in a giggle.

"Yeah..." I nod blankly. Jacob has officially made it to my number one position on my suspicious list.

Perhaps I should get to know him. Thus, I'll find out what exactly he is hiding. People are self-interested; seriously, even Locke thought so. He has a hidden agenda; it's a gut feeling.

Time to call in backup.

~A/N updated 9/2018 . published 9/2014~