Chapter 18

A/N enjoy! This is the most i've ever written O_O 

I twiddle my thumbs a bit as I wait for Pearl to get Skyler.

I contemplate briefly by what Pearl means by "different."

Skyler has always been a quiet, shy guy. I mean, when you're best friends with two dorks like Pearl and me, I guess he didn't have to be crazy like us. He balanced us out somehow. He wasn't quiet, but he certainly kept our heads leveled.

I remember back when we first met Sky. I think it was back when we were in third grade.

Sky wasn't particularly liked because our peers thought that he was weird with his interest in books and gadgets. His introverted personality made it easier for everyone to tease him, bully him. I had just transferred to Pearl and Sky's school back then. It was my first public school after being homeschooled. I was so excited to finally get to make new friends.

"Hey! Stop it!" The girl with messy blonde hair stands courageously in front of the timid boy with the broken gadget in front of him. I curiously walk over and look at what is happening.

"Aw is Pearly coming to save Skyler the princess?" The bully and his goons smirk evilly.

"Go pick a fight with someone your own size!" The girl Pearly scowls as fiercely as she can.

A crowd begins to form a circle around them as they wait for a fight to ensue.

The boy behind Pearly only looks down at the gadget and cleans up the mess. He picks each piece up delicately and puts it in his pockets. He stands up and tugs at the girl's shirt, whispering something to her ear. She shakes her head furiously and bickers with him briefly.

"Where are the teachers? the adults?" I ask the student next to me. He only shrugs me off. I face another person, this time a girl.

"The teachers don't care about us." She shrugs as if it's a common thing for a fight to happen. Why not? Kids shouldn't be mean to each other. It's bad.

"We are just having a little fun that's all." Another person inputs casually.

I frown as I watch the girl and boy in the circle. "Does this happen a lot?"

"This always happens at recess." She nods but turns her attention towards the middle.

"Who's that guy?" I point to the meanest looking guy in the front of the trio. I think he is the leader.

"Marco," she points to the head bully, "He loves to pick on Skyler. Pearl always protect Skyler. I think Marco likes Pearl."

"Why is he so mean to Skyler though?" I don't understand this at all. My father and brothers always told me to never use violence to solve problems.

"It's funny." She gives me a smile. Then, she leans in as if she has a huge secret to tell me. "Marco will punch anyone who gets in his way. He has two older brothers, who are FIFTH graders!"

My stomach twists as nobody steps up to help Pearl and Skyler. They are going to get hurt! Marco and his three cronies are all big and mean looking. It's four against two. That is unfair.

"Are they going to fight?" I whisper to the girl once more.

"Yes!" She says excitedly. "Now shush, I don't want to miss anything!"

I stand there dumbfounded as she tries to get more in the front with a camera in her hand.

"I thought boys don't hit girls?" I murmur to another student next to me.