Chapter 25

"YEE-HAW!" Jacob hollers as soon as we burst through the gates.

I clutch the sides of the car and grimace. This ain't doing much for my wounds. I shoot him multiple dirty looks.

He notices. "Live a little!"

"Right." I lift my top and show him my reopened wounds.

"Oh..." His grin tones down. "Could be worse?" He sheepishly says.

I just stare at him.

"Sheesh, I'll try to go a bit more easy, but baby this car is just so fine." I can almost imagine his eyes becoming starry-eyed.

"Look in your rear view mirror." I point out. Every single bump in the car makes the ride too unpleasant for me to care about the sweet ride I'm in.

"Well, shit." Jacob's face twists into an excited grin.

His face becomes expressionless as soon as I glare at him.

"What?" Jacob says. "It's just a couple cars trailing after us."

"With guns pointed at us." I add. "They're also shooting at us still."

"Well, you are fine. I'm an amazing driver." His words are supposed to be reassuring but it's not working.

"You know, most people who say that tend to be the exact opposite." I laugh, which is the stupidest decision ever. I end in a fit of coughs, which only add to my misery. I try to remain calm as once again I see the blood on my hands from my coughs. This is not looking good.

"You're fine. Just rest up and we will be out of here in no time." He steps on the gas pedal and I'm once again hanging on for dear life.

There's also the fact that the car is banged up with bullet holes. Also, a bullet zoomed an inch past by head.

Fun.

"HANG ON!" He shouts as he zooms all over the place. This is beginning to look like a Fast and Furious action scene. It always looked cool in those movies.

"HOW MANY LEFT?" He shouts over the ruckus. All the side windows have now been officially shattered to pieces.

"7!" I scream back. I peek over my chair and count.

Holy shit. I gulp as I see we hit the freeway.

We are going in the opposite direction.

"Jacob? JACOB!" I shriek as he dodges the cars skillfully while he loses the other cars.

"HOW MANY NOW?"

"10!" I say.

"HOW DID IT INCREASE?" He shoots a few look behind his shoulder. I freak out as some more bullets pelt us.

"EYES ON THE ROAD AND I DUNNO WHY! WHY DONT YOU PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DAMN DRIVING!" I say in frustration. By now, there's so much adrenaline pumping inside me I feel invincible. Well, I don't really feel my banged up body. I'm not looking forward to when my adrenaline ends and all the pain comes crashing back.

"SEARCH THE CAR!" Jacob glances at me briefly.

"WHY?" I say confused.

"FOR A WEAPON, YOU IDJIT!"

"SHEESH. BE NICE TO THE CRIPPLE!" I huff. I start rummaging around. It doesn't take long for me to find weapons if you eliminate the time spent trying to not be thrown out of the car. In fact, I end up with more than I expect.

I recognize most of the guns I take out. Most of them are just small handguns which should be fine for now.

"HERE! YOU SHOOT, I DRIVE!" I bring the weapons next to me.