It wasn't me - Daniel Ricciardo

Start from the beginning

"Hey, hey, don't be negative, Ems. It will be dry in seconds, and the wind is gonna drop. Joe and other people will slightly dry the track. We will kart today, alright."

That was true, keep up the positive vibes. Emma softly sighed. "I don't want you to go," she honestly whispered to him. "You're my best friend."

"I know," Daniel said and stroked a piece of hair behind her ear. "You can visit me anytime, and I will visit you as soon as I can, don't worry about that. And we will email a lot, we have MSN..." He forced a smile on his face, also to make Emma smile - which it happened. "See, I like that smile more."

Emma looked away and softly giggled. "Ah, stop it."

After two hours of waiting, Joe allowed everyone to kart again; but enter the track at your own risk - Joe wasn't feeling responsible for them once they were on the track. He technically was, but he knew those youngsters would do anything to have their race today.

The youngsters were karting again, and the conditions got better; the sun even began to shine. Emma was so happy to have the last moments on the track with her best friend Daniel and other friends. For the past few years, they have been karting a lot, and they had so much fun together.

One mistake.

That one mistake was almost fatal. A kart slipped and drove into another kart, which led to a chain collision. The person who got hit the most, was fine, only a scratch. And the person who got barely got hit...something was wrong.

"I can't move my arm," Emma said when she tried to remove her helmet after sitting down on the track, but no one heard her. "I can't move my arm!" She was raising her voice, and she looked around in with panic in her eyes. It still seemed like she wasn't heard. "I can't move my arm," she frustratedly said and burst in tears.

Joe ran over to Emma after he checked up on the other teenagers. "Are you alright, love?" He kneeled next to her on the track. He quickly realised she wasn't okay, because he could hear her sob.

"I can't move my arm," she cried.

Daniel ran over to Emma and Joe. He saw how Joe was trying to calm her down and helped her get off the helmet. "What's wrong?" He was scanning Emma's face.

It stayed silent, and Emma was only talking to Joe. Emma and Joe walked away.

"Emma?" Daniel walked after them.

Emma turned around and looked pissed at Daniel. "Shut the fuck up, Daniel," she sneered.

"What have I done?!" Was the first thing what left his mouth.

"You have done enough." She turned around and walked towards the clubhouse.

Daniel squeezed his eyebrows together and turned to the karts. He didn't understand the breakdown of Emma. He could see she was hurt, but she barely was hit by the karts. And what was the reason to fall out against him? Emma was racing on two positions higher than Daniel, so it was not about the loss against him. It probably was in the heat of the moment. His eyes glided over the karts, and all the air got sucked out of his lungs. No... His kart was standing against Emma's kart, but he didn't drive into anyone. He had stopped his kart next to her because that was the only free spot, but did this mean Emma thought everything happened because of him?

Daniel parted his lips and felt his heart racing in his chest. Emma was sitting next to Joe. She had changed, but in a good way. She looked older, and she looked...good. Fuck, what was she doing there?

"Mate, what's wrong?" Melvin was standing next to Daniel, he was one of his friends who dared him to kart here for fun.

"Look at her," Daniel whispered.

Melvin looked in the direction Daniel was looking at, and his eyes fell on Emma. "Wow, what is she doing here?" He plastered a smile on his face and waved to Emma. 

"How is she?"

"You still don't talk to each other?"

"No."

"She was so happy, and then she got destroyed. She's always on the verge of tears, and I haven't seen her smile since the day it happened," Melvin honestly told Daniel, something he regretted on doing. "Her right arm lost ninety per cent of its feeling due to that accident, she basically can't use her arm anymore."

Daniel's eyes filled with tears, and he looked at Melvin. "What?"

"She didn't tell you?"

Daniel was shaking his head. "We haven't talked to each other since the accident, not even when I left for Europe. She refuses to talk to me." He swallowed hard and looked down. "Tell her I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry for hurting her."

"I will," Melvin mumbled. He saw it happening, he was the one who got hit the most and only got a scratch.

"And tell her it wasn't me. It wasn't me who bumped into her."