Double life - Pierre Gasly

"Have fun watching the race," McLaren's driver Lando Norris smiled.

A smile was resting on Matilde's face, a smile that was graved into her face by now. Yes, she was trained to smile politely for hours on a day, but it didn't mean it would lose its value. "Good luck," she mentioned, giving Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri a nod. She placed a piece of hair behind her ear and gave the team principal a nod as well before leaving.

The heels she was wearing ticked on the ground as she moved. Her eyes glided over the grandstand on the other side of the track. It was filled with people. Matilde looked in front of her again, facing a few cameras on her face. She missed it, she missed the freedom. A few weeks ago, she walked through the pit lane without getting looks or attention. And now, today, all the attention was on her.

"Everything alright, Ma'am?"

Matilde looked at one of her security guys. "Yes, thank you, Nick."

A few weeks ago, she was walking around in a comfortable outfit with trainers. And now, today, she was wearing a formal dress with uncomfortable heels. The sun was burning on her skin. She was thirsty. She was hungry. And she wanted to quit. Matilde scanned the pit lane; five more garages to go...

"Here do we have Alpine, Ma'am."

Alpine.

Matilde nodded and stepped to the drivers. She locked eyes with Esteban Ocon and stuck out her hand. They shook hands. Next, the team chef greeted the princess: Otmar Szafnauer. The reserve driver was standing next to Otmar. Matilde politely smiled again.

Then her eyes met a pair of eyes that made her gasp for air. The corners of her mouth dropped, but then she realised he might not know it was her. Just like her he taught her, Matilde forced the corners of her mouth up. When their skin touched, Matilde noticed that her heart was racing in her chest. Pierre only smiled, well, it was his media smile. He showed it to her; he even taught her how to do it. It was a better strategy than what her media assistant taught her.

"It is a pleasure to meet you," Matilde smiled and looked around. "My brother is really saddened he couldn't be here. Manuele sends you his greetings."

"We send him all the best and a speedy recovery," Otmar returned. He started to tell her a story about the team, knowing every team would do the same. He tried to keep it short and interesting.

Matilde nodded every now and then. She stepped into the garage and looked at the cars. She bit her bottom lip and looked in the car when they allowed her to.

Pierre wore a smile as he observed the Princess of Italy. He wondered if her interest was genuine or just a show. However, he didn't want to make any hasty judgments. In public events, the princess rarely portrayed interest, as she wasn't obligated to follow the usual protocol. Unlike her brother, Prince Manuele, the crown prince, who was known for his warmth and kindness, she preferred to keep to herself. Pierre couldn't help but think about what kind of instructions her brother may have given her for the day. Nonetheless, he was pleasantly surprised by Princess Matilde's newfound enthusiasm and dedication, which she displayed with utmost sincerity.

As the chief mechanic spoke to her, Pierre found himself unable to look away from Matilde. Her brown hair was styled in a bun, with a few loose pieces framing her face. However, for a moment, he thought he saw someone else - a girl with blonde, wavy hair and a fringe. Despite this confusion, Pierre's gaze was drawn to Matilde's lips as she bit her bottom lip. She eventually spoke, smiled, and nodded, capturing Pierre's attention even further.

Tilly.

Pierre's smile slowly disappeared as he struggled to believe what he was seeing. Could this be Matilde? Or was it Tilly? Are they the same person?

The woman in front of him was undoubtedly someone else, still beautiful but in a different way. Tilly was always dressed in summer dresses, with blonde hair and bold makeup, while this girl had brown hair, natural makeup, and a perfectly tailored dress. They moved the same, they had the same facial expressions, yet they were so different.

Pierre tried not to show his emotion, but he was hurt. Did Tilly lie to him?

As Matilde started talking, Pierre realised that the woman in front of him was just as smart and funny as he remembered. Matilde joked around a bit, causing the woman to drop her act as a princess. Her eyes sparkled now, something Matilde was not known for, but Tilly was.

"I'm sure you made a marvellous chance this weekend," Matilde smiled. "From what I have seen."

Laughter filled the garage.

"I wish you all the best this weekend."

Pierre tried to play it cool, to act like he wasn't affected by her presence, but it was a lie. How could she not react to me? Did I mean nothing to her? Was it all... Fake? Pierre swallowed hard. He couldn't stop thinking about the summer nights they spent together, about the midnight trips through the cities, the private concerts they had in the living room, the dishes they made together, the love they shared. And the day she stopped replying to him, the day she didn't call him back, the day she disappeared. It was also the day that left the Royal Family in shock.

He was consumed by the memories of their time together, the love and the pain, the joy and the heartbreak.

"Good luck," Matilde said to Pierre and gave him a nod.

The time stopped. Their eye contact was intense. The silence between them was heavy, filled with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. Pierre held his breath when he saw a flickering in her eyes. She knew it. And she was hiding it.

It was her, the one he had loved and lost. And it was him, the one she had once thought she would spend the rest of her life with. She knew that would never happen, but she was willing to break the rules for him.

Matilde left the garage and moved on to the next one. She was fighting her emotions. Her mind wanted her to forget Pierre, but her heart wanted to do otherwise. Of course, she would meet him at the Grand Prix. He was a Formula 1 driver. And she was a princess. Something that would never work.