Spring - Charles Leclerc

An extra one shot since I had free time (because I'm stuck at the train station). Enjoy!

The winter had passed in its sombre majesty. The winter should still be in force, but spring already had pushed it back to moderate temperatures. For the first time in weeks, Emmeline enjoyed the thought of going out.

It was still too chilly to go out without a coat, but Emmeline could switch her thick winter coat for an in-between coat. She loved spending her time outside, but not in the cold. And living in Monaco was different from home.

Emmeline was walking through the streets of Monte Carlo. Her eyes were gliding over the buildings, the view, the happy people. People seemed to smile more now that the sun was out. Those cold days for calmness and reflection were waning, and a new energy rose. Emmeline caught herself wearing a small smile too.

She entered a part of the city that was relatively unknown; only the real Monegasques knew about this hidden part. It was a boulevard full of cafes and other small places to sit and eat. To her disappointment, there were no free spots anymore. It wasn't like she was planning on sitting here and enjoying a cup of tea or coffee, but she would have loved it if she could. Emmeline's eyes glided over the tables; every table was occupied outside, but there were some free seats. Could she just ask one of the people to sit at their table? That would be rude. However, she was here for her own rest too. And if you don't ask it, you don't know it.

Emmeline bit her lip and walked towards a free chair at her favourite cafe. Her eyes fell on the man who sat on the other side of the table, he was reading something from papers and making notes every now and then. Could she bother him?

"Bonjour," Emmeline politely said. When the man looked up, she pressed a smile on her face. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

The corners of the man's mouth curled up. "No, have a seat," he said.

"Merci," she said and turned around the chair to face the sun and view, not the man.

Emmeline took off her coat and sat down. The sun was bright enough for some warmth. She was wearing a jumper, so it probably would be too warm if she had her coat on. Emmeline placed her leg over her knee and grabbed her book. This was the ultimate moment to enjoy the first warm bursts of sunshine.

Five minutes later, a waiter walked over to the table and served a cup of coffee to the man with whom Emmeline shared a table.

"What can I get you?" The waiter looked at Emmeline.

She looked up from her book. "Can I have a tea, please?"

"Absolutely, coming right up."

She gave him a polite nod and went back to reading.

The tea was served. One thing Emmeline enjoyed about this, was that she could read and look up after a while, watching the surroundings and the people. If you didn't feel like reading for a couple of minutes, there were enough other things to fill the time with.

There was a soft breeze, a slightly warm breeze, that wasn't there a few days ago. The day looked bright and light, it looked happy. Emmeline let her eyes flow from tree to tree, noticing the tiny buds that were ready to open - or already open, ready to grow. She wanted them to be open faster, that meant the winter really had passed, and to see the beauty she knew was inside. But nature had its way, its timing, and she wasn't ready yet. A few more days of warmth, and it would bloom, she just had to wait.

"Excuse me," the man behind Emmeline said.

She looked over her shoulder, locking her eyes with the man's. Now she noticed the afternoon was coming to an end. And she could feel it, the breeze became colder.

"I noticed that they put everything on one bill," he mentioned.

"Oh," Emmeline softly said. And this was the part she forgot about sharing one table. "How much is it? I'm sorry, by the way," she mumbled and grabbed her wallet.

He chuckled. "It's eight euros," he read off the bill. "Two teas and a glass of water."

Her eyebrows raised, did they charge me for a glass of water? "I have ten euro's," Emmeline mentioned. "You can keep the rest."

The man got something from his coat. "Here do you have two euros," he said and placed it on the table.

"Oh, eh, thank you."

"It was a good day," the man continued. "I can't for the summer to start. I'm kinda tired of the cold and grey days."

A smile curved on Emmeline's lips. "Yes, this was a good day. The people seem to be friendlier as well."

The man looked down and smirked. He nodded and looked up again. "They somehow do. I saw how you enjoyed the sun; we're all ready for the summer, I think."

"Desperately in need." Emmeline closed her book and looked at the time; she didn't have to be somewhere next, but perhaps it was also time to go home. "Thank you for letting me sit here," she said.

"Yeah, no problem. The chair was doing nothing anyway," he replied. He noticed the smile on her face; she looked grateful. "What are you reading?" His eyes fell on the book.

Emmeline got up and turned around her chair. "Sorry, my neck begins to hurt," she mentioned and put on her coat. The cold breeze made it too chilly. The man nodded and was wearing a smile. "But The Secret History by Donna Tartt. My grandma recommended it, and I have to say... I'm impressed. It's a good story so far."

"I never heard from it before," he honestly mentioned. Emmeline gave the book to him, so he could read the back. She figured he might get interested in it. "But I'm also not a big reader," he said and read the back of the book. His eyes scanned the words. "It looks good," he said and gave back the book.

"It is." Her eyes fell on the paperwork, but she didn't say anything. She was wondering what it was.

"Work," he answered her question. She looked up again. "Data checking and stuff. It's pretty boring, but when the sun is out, and you can drink a coffee outside, it's doable. I'm Charles, by the way."

"Emmeline."

Charles nodded. "Emmeline... Nice to meet you," he smiled.

"A pleasure to meet you too," Emmeline smiled. "May I ask you what kind of data you're checking? Or do you have to go? You paid already."

He looked at his watch. "Nah, I don't have to go anywhere, actually," he said. "I'm a driver, and I just have to check it for myself, trying to improve the car even more."

Emmeline nodded. "Ah, the numbers of Ferrari are there. Impressive."

His eyes fell on the document and back on Emmeline. "Yup, the numbers of Ferrari... I don't want to be rude, but you don't look like you are a fan?" Charles asked it carefully, not knowing if she was an actual fan.

"I may be a fan, but you're just the same human like me. Well, you can drive speedy cars; I don't," Emmeline casually replied.

A laugh escaped his lips. "Touché." Their eyes locked once again. "What brings you to Monaco?" Charles could hear the accent when speaking.