13 ➳ Realization

**unedited**

THAT SIDE ART IS KILLING ME IN SO MANY WAYS YOU HAVE NO IDEA HAPPY LATE VALENTINES DAY YOU LONERS LIKE ME

jk i have haru goodbye

I decided to call my parents on Sunday. I hadn't talked to them in a long time, and the sound of my Mom's voice just calmed me. Even though I hadn't lived with them for a long time, I still remembered when I loved spending all my time with them in my days of middle school.

"Haru! Oh baby, I miss you!" My mom's voice rang through the phone. Hesitation was all I could hear and I squeezed the phone. Her words wavered and I heard something break in the background. The noise almost shattered my ears and my eyes widened, alarmed.

"Mom? What's going on? Are you okay?"

"Nothing, nothing," she said, quickly. "I'm trying to talk to our son!" She screamed at someone. I heard shouts in the background. My father. "Haru, I have to go. I'll call you later okay?" With that, she rapidly hung up the phone before I even had the chance to say "Goodbye." I sighed, angrily chucking my phone on the sofa. What was going on back at home? What was Dad yelling about? I pushed it out of my head and focused on next Friday.

It was coming up in exactly six days. I didn't have the slightest idea on what choice I was going to make. Did I really want to meet my friends over my career? Was my career more important that the boy that I loved and all of my friendships? Sure, I'm sure Nagisa and Rei were just be upset if I left. Sousuke and I had never really been that close rather even spoken, other than him lecturing me on Rin. Merely, him and I were friends and nothing more. He'd probably be disappointed, but it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Makoto, on the other hand, had planned this all out just for me. He'd organized the entire occasion and put it on the day of the carnival so we could all go together. I rubbed my temples, my head throbbing. Honestly, what the hell was I going to do? I felt trapped, like I was trying to get to my goal, but something grabbed a hold of my hand every time I tried to ease forward.

The ringing of my cell phone made me leap out of my skin.

I scrambled to the sofa, jabbing the "answer" button.

"H-hello," I breathed.

"Hey, Haru! It's Makoto." He sounded a little bit uneasy, like he couldn't find the right words. After last night, I couldn't either. What was I supposed to say? "I was just going to drop by Hannah's house since her birthday was yesterday and I missed her party. Do you want to come with?" I sighed heavily. My last priority was to see her, but I figured it was better than dawdling around about Friday.

"Sure," I agreed, half-heartedly. "What's her address?"

"Er, I can just come and pick you up," Makoto said.

"I'm not even dressed," I admitted, chucking at my navy blue shorts and white T-shirt. "I'll meet you there in, say, ten minutes?"

"Okay," he agreed. "It's the Marichi Apartments. She's on floor twenty-seven and room nine."

"Got it. See you then!"

I rushed straight to my room and laid out a bunch of pullovers and sweaters that I'd never worn. A majority of them were earthy brown and tan colors, the shades of tree trunks. Some scarves were strewn across my bed as well. Eventually, I decided on a coconut-colored sweater with an ocean blue scarf and black jeans. Slipping on my coat, I sprinted out the door with a map in my hands. Generally, I knew where the Marichi Apartments were, but the last thing I needed was to get lost.

I started down 54th street, and continued onto Sayano Avenue, where I spotted the apartment building standing tall and high, like a skyscraper. The lobby had been beautifully decorated with red and green Christmas lights as well as a fake evergreen tree in the corner with empty and glittering presents.