Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

But that is all he wanted.

His wolf rallied with a sense of longing, there were still a few weeks until then. But it would be after Christmas, right after Christmas nobody would disturb them. Goddess, maybe he could move it to Christmas night.

Somehow he did manage to get a few hours of sleep, but only had woken up by the sound of the door opening up. It took a few moments for him to realize that the warmth was leftover from where Sage slept, and now she was standing just before the bed with two mugs in hand.

"Coffee." He plopped his head back into the pillow with a loud grin growing on his face.
How did he get so lucky?

"You awake, you smiling...Wake up." Nothing passed her watchful eye, and she waited for him to rise to sit up and take the hot beverage from her hands while she went to retrieve hers.

"I thought you were a dream munchkin."
"A good dream?"
"A very good dream...How about we finish these downstairs with some breakfast." She shook her head.

"I not—I'm not hungry." His wolf did not like the sound of that, and he perked his ears in suspicion. Remus' hand found it's way against her forehead and frowned.

It wasn't a pup cold.

"Hun, you're not going to be hungry later either. How about some toast? Or some scrambled eggs?" She pouted as she thought for a minute. "Toast please."

"Toast with some jelly? The witches are going into your head Munchkin, I want you to get a little food in you." She huffed and agreed, but the two remained in bed for another few minutes before making their way for another cup of tea and coffee.

Sage was very good at knowing where things were and putting things away, she liked folding clothes and keeping spaces organized. It was just her art setup that she learned that her brushes and paint needed to be kept intact or else they'll break.

But she managed to get the loaf of bread and jelly while knowing that Remus would probably make some eggs and bacon. She earned herself a small kiss to the temple as he worked on the actual cooking, and Sage was cautious on anything that could burn her.

That had been a day when she burned herself on the stove, she was very angry.

Remus had made a large batch of scrambled eggs and bacon, neither of them having eaten all that much last night as they were exhausted from the run. He had to admit, Sage was keeping him activate which translated to solid nights of sleep.

Besides hugging his mate, it was peaceful.

Sage was in the middle of covering her toast in jam, while Remus came over with a small plate of eggs and bacon for her. And it caused her to narrow her brows. "I eat toast."
"Sorry hun, I made too much." He shrugged, and Sage was never one to not finish her plate. So he smirked in victory when she nibbled on the eggs and bacon.

He'd have to use that tactic more often.

After breakfast, the two cleaned up and got dressed. They were meeting a handful of wolves to greet the witches, and currently Sage was sitting on an open trunk that smelled faintly of deer blood.

But her wolf didn't mind.

Instead, she listened to the tunes of the radio from the car and waited for the witches to arrive.

It was such an odd word, witches.

But that's when the smell hit her, and her wolf howled in recognition.

Alright, furs stick behind skin, weave together. Jack and Luke stay close to Sage.

They huffed their confirmation and Sage smiled to her brother, and he couldn't identify why she had such a bright smile. But just before he was about to question, Remus took hold of her hand and gently led her off her seat and just a few paces forward from everyone's position.