Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

He heard it was five miles in the surrounding forest in the large circle, Hayes deemed it was safe as the witches enchanted it as a sign of peace.

Thankfully they could rest easy knowing that she wasn't in danger. But better yet, it was a shared confusion of how early Sage appeared, and Luke stopped the timer.

Four minutes and forty-eight seconds.

"Alright, so less than a minute for each mile?" Liam said doing the quick math, and Luke chuckled. "Congrats brother, took you long enough." He teased, going to greet his Luna who was clearly confused as to where everyone was.

"What was the last winner's time?"
"Seven something sir." Laura smirked as well, especially since the previous winner's group was starting to grovel over the sense that their Luna lost.

It seemed like there were all the same people who were winning these events, and surely if Sage knew the concept of tug of war then the four of them could manage.

But nobody wanted to push her more than she's been pushed so far. Laura had mentioned that the Alpha seemed tenser over the phone this morning, and that the pack bond was being effected by it.
Or so says her father.

Perhaps Sage would receive a mating mark when they return, as distance surely makes a male wolf—An Alpha wolf anxious.

Some of the Omega's had started to make portal changing rooms, but Sage felt the need to remain in fur. The warmth was confusing her heavy fur coat, but wanted to soak up the sun sooner or later.

Laura decided to sit with her Luna, and the others followed in pursuit. Not in fur, but it was a nice gesture as Sage hadn't shifted since...the day before they left? It was starting to be too long for her and her wolf.

Luke knew she wouldn't be able to go that long without doing so again, especially if she didn't want to shift now.

Apparently Olivia, the winner last year had finally come, with third and fourth place a few paces behind. She had wrongly assumed that she won, smiling brightly and all until the times were called.

"First place, Four minutes forty-eight seconds. Second place, Seven minutes twenty-two second. Third place, Seven minutes thirty-six seconds. Fourth place, Eight minutes twelve seconds." Olivia had given a high-five to her surrounding pack members until a thought occurred.

"Four minutes? But Rachel was right behind me."
"No ma'am, you got seven minutes and twenty-two seconds. And Luna Rachel received seven minutes and thirty-six seconds." The two Luna's looked to one another in confusion until they both gripped the clipboard to check the times.

Sage Elwood: Four minutes Fourty-Eight seconds.

"What?!" Olivia screamed, and Sage turned her head rather unamused that her thoughts were being disturbed by something so violently ear-wrenching. "Can we help you?"

"Four minutes?! How?" Sage knew, very well, what time is.

And she understood the idea of her time being better had won her the race, and so she looked directly into the Luna's eyes, and before Luke to rightly realize it—Olivia had offered a silent challenge.

"I want a rematch! I didn't even see her!" Sage growled in a low octave, one reserved for those who angered her to the core. Or for a threatening reason such as this.

"I suggest you take a few steps back, Luna Olivia." 

"I demand a rematch." Sage shook her wolf's head, and it only advanced the foolish Luna's step, causing Sage to rise to four paws and stalk forward. Nobody had rightly seen how large of a wolf she was compared to those who hadn't shifted back to skin.