Part XXVI: Little Thieves I

Start from the beginning

The option of staying outside was always open but in the meanwhile, I acquired a fine sum of gold coins which should have paid for inns/taverns and other places to rest and eat. All of the money was earned by my work of selling potions or doing magic tricks. It was something I worked for and I wanted to enjoy the fruits of my work, but now it was all gone.

The fire spirit left my right cheek and snuggled against my left one. It must have tought that I was in such a bad spot, but I am a witch. I have a lot of options. Magic could help me track down the culprit. This fog was getting in my way and removing should solve the problem.

"Spiritum dona mihi potestatem usque ad aqua dissolvere," I closed my eyes to focus on a strong spell and carefully emphasized each word.

The fog slowly dissipated until an earthy meadow with some grass spots, under the cloudy sky appeared. There was nobody in sight. The boy ran off somewhere far away, but I wasn't done. I need my money back.

"Let's find some people and try to find info about the thief," I said.

The fire spirit nodded in agreement and we went to search.

"I thought it'd be foggy the whole day but the fog dissolved so suddenly, as if magic was at work," I heard female voices talking about today's weather but I didn't feel like getting involved in their conversation

I entered the remains of a village which was crowded with people. The houses or rather wooden constructions barely held together. Everything was old, half-destroyed, and had its colours washed out.

"And remember the black holes? One day there were gone. Just like that. Vanishing without a trace," an older woman said.

If I said I was involved in the black holes business I'd only look suspicious so I decided to keep quiet about it. I had no proof I helped the world and I didn't want people to misunderstand my intentions.

First I should start by searching for clues about the boy who robbed me. I carefully looked around me to see to whom should I start asking.

The clothes of every one were ripped at different places and the fabric was barely holding together. The colors were all washed out, leaving pale white, brown, and green shades of their original colours. It was completely different from Rheya's capital where everyone was nicely dressed.

Everybody looked very poor. Even poorer than the people from my home village. They noticed my presence but nobody made a move to get acquainted. I wondered with whom I should talk first. With an older woman or a man? Maybe somebody my age? Or to kids since the thief was a child?

I was a stranger. A witch. Yet those people didn't seem to care who I was. I didn't even hear any talk about me behind my back. Well, maybe it wasn't a bad thing but I should really decide to whom to talk to. Maybe to that old lady sitting on the log over there or to the two girls happily chatting about guys on my left?