Part XIV: Ocean

When I woke up in the morning, I was greeted by the warm rays of sunshine. I looked outside and saw all the weather signs pointing out to a bright new, sunny day ahead, but then I remembered. Akios was in the next room to mine and my thoughts of a sunny day turned black. I turned my back to the window and the sunshine suddenly got replaced by darkness. The rain started to fall and colored the sky gray. It was like the weather changed according to my mood, but I didn't want to have such dark thought from the early morning and dedicated the next few minutes to a daily beauty routine.

I carefully combed my hair and applied some face cream because my skin got dry quickly. I used common herbal ingredients to make face creams and as long as I was on the move, I'd surely find the right ingredients somewhere along the way. When I was done I went out to the inn's hallway where I saw Leo. He was sitting on the floor and reading the book of myths I bought yesterday, I didn't even notice that he took it. Leo was immersed in it and he barely noticed that I was up and looking at him.

"Did you find a new, interesting tale?" I asked him.

"No. I already know all of the contents," he answered.

"You must have read in the past, but if you're reading it again you must like it," I said with a smile thinking I found someone with similar interests to mine.

"Past? Like it? I don't need it. My life began anew just to serve you," Leo answered looking at me straight in the eyes.

His words pierced me and I shivered a bit. It was something I never wanted.

"Leo, I..." I took a breath to explain myself.

"Well said, zombie. At least the slave knows his place and how the world works," Akios interrupted us from the behind.

"Akios!" I said as I turned around to face him.

His dark curly hair was in a mess. I've never seen it properly combed, but it was especially messy today. Akios had dark circles under his eyes. I guess he didn't sleep at all. The question was what was he doing? He was probably up to something no good.

"Akios, you didn't sleep tonight?" I asked him directly.

"I am a busy man. Sometimes I have no time for sleep," he answered.

Since I did get to know him I knew his explanation ended with those words.

"Of course you are always busy," I said slightly annoyed.

Akios didn't dwell on the topic and stood in front of me and Leo.

"Today we're going to ask the water spirit for help," Akios announced proudly.

"Water spirit? Help? What's going on?" I was full of questions.

"To close the black holes completely, master Andrezey will need the help of elemental spirits. The wind and the earth spirit already agreed to help us, but we still need to convince the water spirit," Akios explained.

The solution to the problem seemed so simple when he said it. Elemental spirits were the primary, true source of magic in my world and if anyone held the most power it was them. They granted the usage of magical power whenever I or other witches cast a spell. The true answer to closing the black holes was always here, so close. Why didn't I think of asking an elemental spirit for help? I guess it was because I've never met any of them, but still I could feel their presence everywhere. They were a big part of what granted life to this world, but why didn't the other witches think of it too? Maybe they did, but some kind of problem raised with utilizing the power of the elemental spirits.

"Are you regretting now that you didn't think of the elemental spirits solution?" Akios asked with his eyebrows raised.

"I-Wait- Did you just read my thoughts?" I said in a high pitched, panicked voice.