Part XII: Monster Village

Leo and I were a half-day walk from the friendly village when we sat near the roadside to rest. Suddenly I felt soft raindrops falling down on my hair and on my skin. The sky was still sunny which meant that this was only a short rainfall. I called a protective shield to cover Leo and me from the rain.

"Obex."

The raindrops fell on a transparent magical barrier that created rainbow colors. I watched them with a fascination for a few moments. Colorful light and fire were something I liked looking at. The grass around us became glossy as it reflected the light. This rain brought freshness and everything felt pure again.

"Mistress, what are you looking at so happily?" Leo asked me.

"The rainbow colors. Can't you see them?" I said.

"I can't see all the colors anymore, but I remember rainbows," Leo said with a smile.

I stopped looking at the rainbow colors and turned my gaze to the muddy ground.

"Don't be sad, mistress. I'm fine as long as I can sense you. And I'll always be able to feel you even if I lose all of my senses," Leo said.

I couldn't keep sitting still after hearing those words and I stood up. The rain already stopped and I walked into a circle.

"Mistress?" Leo looked at me confused.

"Everything's gonna be alright Leo. I'll definitely find a way to heal you and you'll be able to see a real rainbow again," I said as I avoided to look at him.

I heard that Leo stood up behind me and started picking up our bags.

"Want to eat a sandwich along the way?" Leo asked me and took two out of the bag.

"Give me one." I took it from his hand."You should eat too if you're hungry."

"I'll just take the meat." He gazed hungrily at the meat as he discarded the rest of the sandwich.

My pulse somehow got faster and stayed that way for some time so I ate along the way because I was unable to sit calmly anymore.

We walked at a slower pace than I anticipated because Leo's movements got even slower. With our current walking time, we wouldn't be anywhere near any town or a village before nightfall. We'll have to camp outside, it'll be my first time since my journey started. I didn't like the idea, but the traveling lifestyle would make it unavoidable sooner or later.

We'll have to make a physical shelter and I could cast a spell to make it look a little bit better. I could create the illusion of a room. As long as no one bothers us during the night we should be fine. I could also cast a spell that would make people and animals avoid the area we're at. There were a few useful spells that came to my mind so I took out my grimoire to check them and decide which one would be the best to use.

As I was flipping through the pages I felt that my feet were stepping onto something more solid than the earthy road we've been walking on. When I looked around I saw that we were on a paved road which was very curious. We were in the middle of nowhere and yet there was a paved road ahead as if we were in front of some important town or a castle. The road continued up ahead but there was a curve on the left and trees blocked my sight. I took out my map again to check but according to it, nothing should be here. Leo wasn't surprised by the road, he just followed me everywhere I went.