Chapter XXXI :Enemies and friends III

We were back in the empty throne room. No friends in sight. No enemies. Nobody.

Just us. Akios and me.

"Well, it's time to finish what you started Calytrix," Akios said but I didn't react because a sudden pain in my stomach made me crunch down. The last time I ate was yesterday. I planned to eat along the way but I didn't imagine this place to be so run down, besides with all the things that happened I didn't have the time or place to eat.

My stomach growled loudly. "You're hungry?" Akios asked but I felt too embarrassed to speak. My stomach growled again. "I am guessing you didn't eat anything today." He clutched his head as though he was having a headache "We'll have to go through travels basics from scratch. "Instead of an answer, the sounds of hunger echoed the room. "Here!"Akios took out sandwiches from a small portal he quickly opened and closed.

The portal could have led to a very small world where there was enough space only for the sandwiches. Maybe they were all that existed there, but maybe there were very little creatures there too. I would have liked to peek at it but there was no time. I was truly grateful for the food he shared but before I could say anything I had to take a bite.

The sandwich was delicious. It contained everything I liked: ham, cheese, green salad and an egg. Simple, but effective. It seemed to be handmade. Maybe Akios was making these before we met here? That thought made me giggle.

Akios casually sat down on the throne as he ate. He didn't have any royal dignity but he didn't have the aura of townsfolk or a villager neither. Us magic wielders were a category for itself.

"Aren't you going to sit down Calytrix?" he asked and I shook my head. "A causal meal should be enjoyed in an appropriate manner."

"Transfigurno" The small red carpet in the middle of the room became a fluffy red blanket comfortable enough to sit down. The blanket was so soft that I could barely stop myself touching it. Cuddling with soft materials was one of the best things in the world.

Akios decided to join me. Maybe the fluffiness of the blanked drew him in or he just agreed with me on the casual approach to sandwiches. Akios didn't feel the blanket. He took out of the miniature world a few green water bottles and in that moment I felt such strong thirst that I immediately grabbed one to drink.

It wasn't plain water, it was full of bubbles. They tingled my insides. This water was cursed! I-I. It was too late! I swallowed it.

"The-the water it is c-cursed!" I looked at Akois.

His eyebrows raised high as he gulped down a whole bottle of the cursed water. "Alive,", he said.

What will happen to us now? The tingling sensation faded. It lasted only when the water was in my mouth. I looked at the bottle and saw bubbles forming in it. The bubbles were formed quickly but they also disappeared at the same speed.

"Relax," Akios put his hand on my head. "It isn't cursed. Haven't you ever heard of carbonated bubbly water?"

I thought hard about it. Carbonated bubbly water? There was no such mention in any of the books I read nor did I hear anyone talking about it.

„Carbonated water is that has been infused with carbon dioxide gas under pressure," I didn't understand his words at all. Carbon in water? But it wasn't black. The water was transparent like it normally is. I looked at the bottle from all directions.

"Nevermind," he said." I wouldn't poison you. That would be quite the opposite of my goals."

Since our contract was still effective I trusted his words without doubt. At least for now I can relax. Akios took out more bottles but he still didn't let me catch a glimpse inside the small portal he opened.