1 | the unspoken rule

"Come on," Delaney says, tossing her sleek copper-colored hair over her shoulder before cutting her piercing green eyes at me, expression daring me to defy her

"Come on," Delaney says, tossing her sleek copper-colored hair over her shoulder before cutting her piercing green eyes at me, expression daring me to defy her. "You have to pick one, Hads. What's your choice?"

I glance over my shoulder and study the two boys Delaney has pointed out to me, giving in to her twisted game of Who Would I Rather? I feel the eyes of Grace and Bianca bouncing between me and Delaney from across the table, sitting in nervous silence. I have just made the mistake of pointing out that I don't want to take part in Delaney's stupid game any longer, which means I have broken the unspoken rule: No one stands up to Delaney.

Watching the boys, neither makes much of an impression on me. The one standing off to the left corner of the cafeteria is tall and muscular, adorned with messy dark hair and even darker eyes, clad in a lettermen's jacket that is meant to show off his status here at West Brooke High. The boy standing a few feet away to the right is on the thinner side, his face framed by thick black glasses, blond hair combed neatly and the khakis he wears pressed as if they have been hand-ironed. I don't have to study the boys long to know which is the individual I am clearly supposed to choose.

"The boy on the left," I say calmly. I turn around and meet Delaney's stare, keeping my expression neutral. "Obviously."

Next to me, Bianca giggles faintly. Her black curls seem even wilder today than usual, complexion tanner, brown eyes warmer. Bianca spent her summer vacation visiting relatives in Spain, and she always comes back to the States brighter somehow, walking around with a glow that looms over her. I think this is because she is happier after a long break from school, back in her native country. However, one week with Delaney is all it takes to dim Bianca's smile and darken the gleam in her eyes.

"Obviously," Grace agrees with my decision, nodding her approval as she whistles under her breath. Her eyes wander over to the boy I have just singled out, white teeth seeming to pop in contrast to her unblemished dark brown skin as she grins, hazel eyes lighting up like a kid's on Christmas morning.

"Good choice, Hads," Delaney murmurs, wearing a knowing smirk. She raises an eyebrow to express her clear understanding of the power she holds over me, bossing me around simply because she can. "I mean, the kid on the right looks totally gay, right?"

Delaney holds my stare as she says the words. Her expression hardens, gaze turning to stone. I can feel my heart stilling in my chest, blood turning to ice in my veins. Grace and Bianca seem oblivious to the tension in the air as they mumble their responses to Delaney's dig, though I know Delaney's words were meant for me; I know they were a warning that at any given moment Delaney could expose my secret if I dared to cross her.

I guess that's why I sit up a little straighter and smile a little wider, gaze unwavering from Delaney's.

"Right," I agree through clenched teeth, as what other choice do I have?

Delaney offers me a thin smile and a slight nod of her head, praising me for my obedience. Then the conversation shifts as Delaney asks the girls how their summer vacations were. My stare falls to the tabletop, concentrating on eating my dry salad, though I know Delaney doesn't expect me to answer her question anyway. She knows exactly how my summer went.

After all, she's the one who got me sent away.

___

a/n: it feels so refreshing to be posting a new story again, wow. anyway, here is the first chapter! i hope you guys stick around if you liked it, and if any readers here are from my previous works, hello again i have missed you all!

 anyway, here is the first chapter! i hope you guys stick around if you liked it, and if any readers here are from my previous works, hello again i have missed you all!