28 | happy

Devon arrives shortly after my parents and sister have left the house

Devon arrives shortly after my parents and sister have left the house. I meet her outside where her car is parked, climbing into the passenger seat and closing the door behind me.

"Hey," Devon greets. I turn to face her, unable to stop myself from grinning.

"Hi." When I'm around Devon, I always feel giddy; as if I am a schoolgirl with a crush. She never fails to make my heart race, to turn my knees weak, or to make butterflies flap around in the pit of my stomach.

Devon shoots me a crooked smile before leaning forward. I draw closer to her on impulse, smiling as my eyelids flutter closed and her soft lips meet mine. Devon kisses me for a brief moment before she returns her attention to the steering wheel, resting a hand on my thigh.

"So," she starts as she backs out of my driveway, "where to?"

I shrug. "Did you have anything in mind?"

"I was thinking the park," Devon admits. She pulls onto the street and risks a quick glance my way. "We could just walk around for a little while. Then go back to my place."

"Sounds good to me," I agree.

Devon runs her thumb in circles against my thigh as she drives. I can't help glancing down at her hand and smiling as she does so. I slide my hand into hers, holding on tightly.

We ride along, holding hands with the radio blaring and all of the windows rolled down. The cool air blows my blond hair behind my shoulders and into a wild mess. As the song changes, Devon increases the volume, telling me how much she loves the song. Soon enough, she's screaming along to the lyrics. I eye her, smiling faintly.

Everything she does is just so perfect to me. I've always been a quiet person, keeping to myself and living life out of my own little comfort zone. Yet something about having Devon next to me and her hand in mine sends waves of adrenaline through my veins, giving me the courage to climb out of my shell. I join Devon in singing way too loud, grinning as the wind ripples through my hair.

Devon gazes at me over her shoulder as we come to a red-light. The last notes of the song we'd been screaming fade out, and Devon's dark eyes gleam as she smiles. I return her grin as the two of us share a moment that the rest of the world is unaware of.

It suddenly hits me that I am happy. In this moment, there is no other word to describe how I'm feeling. I can't remember the last time I felt so careless and free, can't remember the last time I felt anything except numb since the summer. Devon entering my life has seemed to bring out a new side of me; she is turning me into a person I want to be.

She makes me feel like everything is going to be okay. I don't want to lose that.

___

a/n: I MISS MY GIRLFRIEND SO MUCH UGH