47 | always

"Does she like macaroni?" Mom asks from where she stands behind the stove, frantically reaching for the oven mitt set atop the counter before opening the oven

"Does she like macaroni?" Mom asks from where she stands behind the stove, frantically reaching for the oven mitt set atop the counter before opening the oven. A cloud of smoke drifts from the door, whisking into the air. I watch with amusement as Mom curses under her breath, waving the smoke from her face as she grabs the tray from the oven.

"Devon likes anything, Mom," I assure her. "It's nothing to get overwhelmed over."

Mom turns to face me, her emotions painted clear as day across her face. "You've never had a girl over before. I want this to go perfectly."

I'm unable to restrain a smile. Tonight is the first time Devon has ever been invited over for dinner to meet my parents, and the effort my mother is putting into the event warms my heart. A little over a month has passed since homecoming, and the holiday season hangs in the air. It's taken some time, though my family has mostly adjusted and come to terms with my sexuality. Even my mother, whom I least expected to willingly accept me, has come around.

"Don't overwork yourself, honey," Dad tells Mom as he enters the kitchen. His eyes dance with laughter as he studies my mother, then observes the gray smoke in the air.

"You burnt the macaroni anyway, Mom," Reagan retorts from her seat at the bar, wrinkling her nose at the smoking tray Mom has removed from the oven.

"I know." Mom groans, hiding her face behind her hands. "I don't know why I'm stressing out. I just want to make a good impression."

"Devon is going to love you." I wrap my mother into an embrace. "I love you, so she has to."

"I hope she's okay with pizza," Mom says with a self-deprecating chuckle as she reaches for her phone sitting on the counter.

"Pizza!" Reagan cheers, to which the rest of us laugh. "Thank God. No offense, Mom."

"None taken," Mom sighs.

The doorbell rings, signifying Devon's appearance. My mother falls into a frenzy all over again, rushing to smooth down her hair and clothes, running her mouth a mile a minute as she jabbers nervously. I roll my eyes at her playfully as I head toward the front door to allow Devon to enter, my heart beating out of my chest in excitement.

Opening the front door reveals my girlfriend. Her dark hair has been pulled up into a bun, and she is clad in a simple t-shirt and jeans. Her eyes light up as they meet mine, lips tugging into an undeniable grin.

"Hi!" I chirp in greeting, beaming as I step aside so Devon can come inside. "Welcome to the Carter household."

"It's a pleasure to be here," Devon plays along, stepping into the foyer as she laughs. We embrace after I close the front door. I smile as she places a sweet kiss upon my cheek.

"Are you ready to meet my parents?" I tease as I lead Devon into the kitchen.

"I'm a little nervous," she admits. "But excited. I've been looking forward to this."