42 | stolen

Devon can sense that something is wrong the moment I rejoin her side

She eyes me with a worried gaze, cautiously approaching. I can't seem to get out of my head, even with Devon's comforting presence next to me. My eyes shift around the gym, trying to spot Delaney. I hate that I can't seem to pick her out a crowd almost as much as I hate feeling her beady little eyes watching me from a distance.

"What is it?" Devon questions softly. "Did something happen?"

I open my mouth, prepared to spout a lie and reassure Devon that I am fine. Yet lying doesn't feel right in the moment, because the truth is that something is wrong and something did happen.

"I ran into Delaney," I admit.

Devon shifts, crossing her arms over her chest. Her mannerisms make it clear that she knows something is off. "What did she say?"

"She asked if I was having fun," I tell her in a daze, continuing my search of the gym. I should know better than to look for Delaney. After all, snakes are excellent at hiding.

"So?" Devon asks. I'd almost forgotten we were speaking, lost in thought. "What else?"

"I told her I was. Then she told me that my night was going to become more fun. Whatever that means."

Devon stiffens, furrowing her dark eyebrows. Pursing her lips, she turns to glance over her shoulder. I wonder if she is looking for Delaney as well, or if she can also feel Delaney's cold stare watching from afar.

"Don't let her get to you," Devon says. It feels as if she's saying the words more for herself than for me. "She's ruined too many experiences for you. Don't let her ruin tonight, too."

I nod, knowing Devon is right. I deserve to allow myself to have fun; to have one decent night without the stress of worry looming over my head. After all, it's not as if I can prevent anything that may happen from playing out. I can only go with the flow, learning to work around blows as life throws them at me. As long as Delaney is in my life, I'm certain I'll have to dodge many metaphorical punches.

"Dance with me," Devon offers. "Forget about her."

She takes my hand in hers, sending a ripple of electricity down my arm that consumes my entire being. For a brief moment, I push Delaney to the back of my mind, along with all of my other worries. Locking gazes with Devon, it is suddenly just she and I. Even in a room full of people, she somehow manages to make me feel as if the two of us are alone together, locked away in our own little bubble of life.

I loop my arms around Devon's neck as her hands snake around my hips, pulling me in close. When she smiles at me, the simple action is so incredibly sexy that all I can think about is how much I want her and how badly I ache for us to be truly alone. It's as if she can read my thoughts. She tightens her grip on my body, her lips moving in close to my ear so that I can feel her breath against my neck.