Chapter | Thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

"I'm Emillia," she replies, popping out the candy from her mouth.

"Oh, so you're Emillia," mom says, a beaming smile blooming on her face, telling me she knows who she is.

"You're beautiful," Emillia continues.

"Oh, not as beautiful as you are, angel," mom replies and Emillia stretches her lips in a wide smile, enjoying the compliments she gets.

I have to admit the kid knows how to melt hearts.

"Jason, so good to see you," mom greets him and gives him a short hug as well.

"Good to see you too, Mrs. Tate," he says, still searching around for some more surprises.

"Oh, stop staring around like that, Jason. I came alone. Lucas is not with me," she says, pocking his chest playfully.

"And still here we are, thinking he's not like the stamp glued to the postcard," aunty Feli jokes and walks to us.

"Feli..." mom scolds her.

"What? Isn't it true?" aunt Feli replies, rolling her eyes and pulling us all inside, closing the front door. "Let's get in. Becks, you came right on time. Lunch is ready."

"Look at our house shining," I hear Massimo saying while walking in with a bright smile, carrying some groceries bags with him.

"Massimo..." mom says, standing up from the sofa in the living where we are all sitting.

"Good to see you, girl. Did you come for your gem? I hope you'll not take her just yet. It's wonderful to have her around," he says, walking closer to us and taking his share of welcoming, while mom sits back next to me after tightly hugging Massimo and wrapping me with her arms  Again.

Aunt Feli and Massimo never had children, and that's how I knew he really meant it.

"Not at all, Massimo. The weather here is wonderful. The sun is good for Eve and her baby," she drops the bomb right in our noses, looking into my wide, scared eyes.

"Mamma..." I barely breathe out, cupping my belly with my hand, completely astonished by mom knowing about me being pregnant.

"Did you think I wouldn't see it the moment I laid my eyes on you?" she angelically asks, sitting closer to me and cupping my face in her hands, both of our eyes pooling in tears.

"Ms. Tate..." Jason tries to say, clearing his throat.

"Jason, I'm so grateful to you for taking care of my girl. But you can't keep a mother away," mom says and I melt at her chest, feeling a heavy load off of my chest and the soft, loving kisses of my mother spread on my forehead.

We spoke about everything and anything during lunch, aunt Feli and mom laughing and talking about times when mom was here, way before I was born, as I could understand.

Just like I always like to do, I keep quiet during lunch, enjoying the mouthwatering pasta of my aunt and looking around the table, at the wonderful people I have with me and my mom, who has traveled nowhere without my dad but who is now sitting in front of me, alone, thousands of miles away from him, just to be with me.

She refused to take a rest, she said she lost too much time not being with me and she was so happy to be here that she won't be able to close an eye.

"Mamma," I call her while we are sitting out on the patio.

"Yes, sweetheart," she replies, holding me to her chest, one hand caressing my hair and the other one laying flat on my belly.

"Does dad know where I am?" I ask in a whisper.