Interlude: Pride

Interlude: Pride

Gabriel was a trickster. Everyone knew it.

For some reason, Naomi still bought it when he said he was going to the library.

"I expect you to be back by six," his stepmother instructed briskly. "We're eating as a family tonight. If you check anything out, show me when you get back. I want to make sure you're not going to get anything blasphemous."

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Yeah, sure. Bring back a Bible. Can I go?"

"Very well," Naomi said.

Gabriel practically ran out of the sitting room and to the garage. He tossed his backpack in the passenger seat of the Novaks' car and pulled onto the street. He was out.

Windows rolled down, Gabriel cruised through New Haven, his mood impossibly good. He was away from Naomi and Michael, it was summer, he was all stocked for the afternoon (both candy-wise and with attire), and, most importantly, he was free.

The car went past a few streets that were being blocked off by police. Gabriel grinned; he wasn't big on cops, but this afternoon was going to be a lot better if he didn't get run over halfway through.

A few minutes later, he slowed the car to a stop in front of an upscale brownstone. He hopped out of the car, slung his backpack over one shoulder, and climbed quickly up the front stairs. The door opened before he could knock.

Loki had often been mistaken for Gabriel's brother, though that wasn't the case. They both had the same gold-auburn hair and permanently mischievous glint to their eyes, and were nearly the same height. (Gabriel was taller by two thirds of an inch, which he held over Loki's head shamelessly.)

Loki grinned at him. "Gabriel."

"Loki." Gabriel grinned back. "Ready for later, shortbus?"

"I'll be ready. And don't call me shortbus." He stepped to the side and let Gabriel in.

"Do you have the paint?" Gabriel checked.

Loki snorted. "Of course. What, did you think I'd forget?"

Gabriel shrugged. "It crossed my mind. Since, ya know, you're practically ancient."

"Seventeen isn't ancient."

"Sure it's not. Whatever makes you happy."

Loki rolled his eyes, and they made their way up the stairs to get ready.

It was nearly two hours two hours later that they were ready to leave the brownstone, covered in bright paint and glitter.

"This is going to be a bitch to get out," Gabriel complained, combing a hand through his hair and bringing it away dusted in pink glitter.

"Your fault for putting it in my hair first," Loki smirked. His hair was also faintly pink and shimmery.

"My hand slipped," Gabriel said innocently.

"Your hand slipped my ass. My hand actually slipped," Loki said in the same tone.

They left the brownstone, walking back in the direction Gabriel had driven in from, towards the blocked off roads, where a large group of brightly dressed people were beginning to gather.

Gabriel grinned openly. If Naomi or Michael knew where he was, he'd be disowned.

Most everybody in the crowd was donning rainbow, or other colors from a more specific flag. Some people were carrying flags or signs. Nearly everyone seemed thrilled to be there.

Of course they were. Pride month was only once a year.

As Gabriel and Loki got closer, Gabriel began to survey the group. On the edge of the crowd, Crowley, the high school's British forgein exchange student was visible, wearing far too many layers than seemed reasonable. Sleipnir, Loki's cousin, could be seen weaving through the throes of people. Meg Masters, nextdoor neighbor, bitch extraordinaire, and his younger brother's best friend, stood around the outskirts of the action, talking to-

Gabriel did a double take. Was that Castiel?

"Cassie!" he shouted excitedly.

Castiel's head snapped up and he paled, making the colorful face paint he had applied stand out in even more contrast to his skin.

Yup, definitely Cassie.

Gabriel kicked himself internally. So that was why he was always dodging Naomi's questions about girls. Gabriel had just assumed his brother was too focused on school to want to take up dating, but if he wasn't into girls, well, that wouldn't go over too well at dinner.

Castiel said something urgently to Meg, then tried to disappear into the crowd. Unfortunately for him, Gabriel got to him first.

"You should have told me you were going to be here!" Gabriel scolded, thrilled. "We could have helped you get ready!"

"Are you kidding me?" Meg said grumpily. "We have to deal with you here too?"

Castiel looked over Gabriel almost nervously, taking in the glitter in his brother's hair, the paint on his face, and the flag he had draped over his shoulders like a cape.

"I, er, I didn't realize that- uh-" Castiel stumbled over his words.

"That I was pan? Come on, little bro. I dress up as a heterosexual every year for Halloween!" Gabriel joked.

Castiel gave a small smile.

"Next year, I'm helping you get ready. Understood? I mean, we'll have to do it at Loki's or somewhere since Naomi, but..."

"You... you don't mind?" Castiel was still extremely nervous.

Gabriel fought the urge to roll his eyes. "Look at where we are, kiddo. Would I be here if I had a problem with it?"

"Oh. Right." He hesitated. "Why do you have glitter in your hair?"

"Someone," Gabriel said bitterly, turning around to face Loki, "dumped it in my hair."

"You dumped it in my hair first," Loki said. "And you got it all over my flag." He was wearing his gender fluid flag similarly to Gabriel, only it sparkled in the sun, thanks to the glitter.

"Hey, Clarence, we're getting ready to move," Meg said.

Sure enough, the crowd was beginning to shuffle forward.

"Wanna walk with us?" Gabriel said.

Castiel lit up. He turned to Meg.

Meg sighed. "Fine. I'll deal with your brother." She glared at Gabriel. "Don't think this means I like you."

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "Wouldn't dream of it." His excitement returned. "Come on!"

"Thank you, Gabriel," Castiel told him.

"'Course, Cassie." Gabriel grinned. "Now let's go, I've got candy for the end!"

Gabriel skipped to the front of their group, but not before he caught a glimpse of Castiel's smile.