Chapter 12

It's warm. There's a breeze. The sun rays filtered through the light curtains made the room warm. There are muted chatters in the background.

The sun made his hair glow, softly reflecting the light. Or was he already glowing? The breeze playing with his hair, made it tousled in buoyant waves.

He turned and looked at me. It felt like it was in slow motion. His sweet honey eyes met mine. He was not quite smiling, but it was a warm gaze. Not his uncaring one. But a tender gaze meant to convey words without vocalising.

"Marc..." He was smiling at me. He didn't look away like he usually does.

We're standing in the middle of the classroom all of a sudden. Just us. I can still feel the breeze. He took a step closer to me. And another. We're face to face now. So close. He's still smiling. I feel warm inside. I'm smiling too.

"Marc..." He's getting ever closer. His face so close to mine. His smile and gaze, warm.

*alarm sounds*

Ugh, that damn alarm. I jolted awake from that scary sound. I clutched my chest, my heart beating rapidly from anxiety. Like I said before, alarm sounds scare me. No matter what sound I use.

The dream. Since I woke up suddenly while I was dreaming, I remember some of it. I don't remember every detail but the gist of what happened. I usually dream a lot and I don't remember all of them the next morning. But sometimes I recall the morning ones or if I wake up suddenly.

The classroom. The sun. The breeze. And Kai, him standing too close to me. Another weird one. I have a lot of weird dreams, anyway. But it's another dream where Kai appeared. It's been a few this week already. I don't remember all my dreams anyway, so I must've dreamt of everyone at some point. It's just I remember a few and Kai just happened to be in them. Whatever. I have to go get ready.

_______________________

The day was really normal. Just the same classes. I had Physics before the break; I think I was extra hungry today.

Kai told me he'd wait under that vine arbour tunnel after school. I was a bit late because I had to talk to the Chemistry teacher about some chapters I had missed before I joined. Since we have a quarterly exam soon and they will test those chapters along with the new ones. There were a few topics from physical chemistry. I told him I could manage and my friends would help.

I could already see Kai from here through the bushes and shrubs. I kept walking and I was gonna call out to him when I saw he was with someone. A girl from our class, Sophie.

"But why? I thought you did. You even helped me at the lab that day. You smiled, you gave all the signs." She said, frowning.

"I'm sorry. You misunderstood. I just wanted to help. I don't like you." Wow, did she confess?

Kai was his same distant self while talking to people he isn't close with. It's the tone that scares people away, like he just wants to be done with the conversation. I'm so glad we're past this.

"Why're you so cold? You talk to your friends so nicely. You're with Marcus all the time and you're smiling." She looked hurt. I understand her, but I know this is too much for Kai as well.

"I'm sorry. I'm not comfortable around people I'm not close with."

Sophie looked like she could cry any minute now. "Is it me? Do you like another girl? I thought you liked me. No other guy even smiles at me."

Kai took a deep breath. Looks like he's preparing himself to deliver more than three brief sentences. I hope Sophie understands and isn't too hurt.