Chapter 14

There's going to be the interschool basketball tournament soon. So David and his team were practicing seriously. Duke is in his team too. I used to play basketball, I'm okay at it. David invited me to try out for the team before, but I had a lot of catching up to do then. I'm just helping with the practice a little. David mixed his team members and the extras with some of us for a fair game. They're supposed to practise during the last two periods today. They even practise on evenings sometimes. The last period is physical education, anyway. We had English before it but the English teacher is absent today and we pleaded with the substitute to let us out.

I left after a game and slumped down on a bench a little farther. Liam, Ryan and Ezra were playing football on the field we have on the other side. Marvin and Lance are on the same team for once. They make a really good team together, they're really well coordinated. Hell, I ship them too now. Kai is the goalkeeper for the other team. Felix is at the library to finish some assignment with Maya and Lia. He was not in the mood to play today. He was really happy to finish it at school so he could chill relaxed at home. He invited me as well but I'd rather be outside. It was breezy today and the temperature's alright, not too hot.

Both the coaches look busy with the basketball players. There were girls playing on the other basketball court, practicing as well. They got the loud coach who was busy shouting at them. Poor luck. Some others were playing badminton too. Some just gossiping. Some at the library. And some just missing. Kai joined me after a while.

"Hey Marc, let's go." He was already dragging me by the hand with him.

"What... where?"

"Just come with me. Everyone's busy with basketball and football. No one would notice. Bell just rung for the last period anyway."

"Fine... you're taking me to your secret stash or something huh?" I said wriggling my eyebrows. He just shook his head. We started walking away and yeah nobody noticed.

"So where is this portal to Narnia?" We had already crossed the field and I think we were moving towards the main school building.

"I'm taking you to my favourite place here."

"Huh?" I was distracted, looking around to check no one's seen us wandering around. I don't wanna be caught by the vice principal, she has such a shrill voice... I think I'd lose my ability to hear higher frequency sounds if I get scolded by her for even five minutes. I think she can totally teleport. She can be frickin everywhere!

"Here at the school. I liked to hang out by myself there."

"You don't go there anymore?"

"Yeah... I'm usually with you and the guys. Do you have a place like that?"

"I guess the vine arbour tunnel near gate 2. That's why I always use that gate." He smiled at me.

"Why?"

"I don't know... we didn't have one there and it looks so beautiful. I forget I'm at school when I'm under it. The sunlight seeping in through the vines, the warmth, the flowers... it just I don't know how to explain, feels otherworldly. It feels special."

"Yeah I like the quiet there. The garden's really pretty... We're here. Just have to workout a little now."

We reached the main building and he started climbing up the stairs. Does he like to hang out at some empty classroom or something?

"Can't we just use the lift? Which floor do you wanna go to?"

"The teachers must be using the lift now. And we don't wanna get caught."

"You're right."

It feels like it's been fifteen minutes and we're still using the stairs. I think we have already climbed up to the fifth floor. Ugh how much more?