(14) Vile

The war was almost over. And he was winning. The South is outnumbered. North was offering a truce. His ego should've burst. He's practically a single gunshot away from claiming the four Societies.

He was winning for fuck's sake! Except winning meant losing too. If he win, Sophie might not be in his bed waiting whenever he comes home. So deliciously willing and submissive he couldn't get enough of her.

Lucas pressed her against the mattress, his hands covering her wrists to pin them down between her head. He stared deep into her eyes.

She giggled underneath him. "What are you doing?"

"Staring at your beautiful face."

Her lips curled. "I don't mind. I'll just stare back at your beautiful face too."

He chuckles. "Yours is better," he peppers kisses on her cheeks and dove his mouth to hers, kissing her hungrily.

She closed her fingers around his, kissing him back, giving all of herself to him. Even then, she felt like she was miles away. That she was going to slip through his fingers like sand and he can't do anything about it.

He wanted her close. He wanted more of her. He wanted her right where she is.

He places hot trails of kisses to her neck, settling himself between her soft thighs. She arched her back in invitation.

Holding onto her, he buried himself into her with a rough, slick thrust.

She gasped, her nails marking his arm, his name on her lips.

He withdrew only to thrusts back in, deeper and harder. The rhythm was shamefully desperate, but she met his thrusts as if she wanted the need in his touch.

Their pants tangled in his bedroom. The hard planes of his body colliding with her perfect ones. His scars brush her porcelain skin – the rough against smooth taking them both higher than fucking heaven.

Lucas slammed home even harder, their pants louder. He felt himself losing control and there's no way in hell he's not taking her with him. "Come with me, Sophie."

Her nails buried deep on his arm and she lose herself too.

They shuddered, clinging to each other, heart beating in synchrony. He eases out of her, rolling into his back and taking her to his embrace.

She rested her cheek against his chest. "Your wounds heal fast," her voice echoed in the silence. Her fingers trace his cuts and scars. "Have you ever been shot?"

"Of course. Several times. You're planning to put a bullet through me?"

She propped her palms on bed the and pushes herself off his chest. She sat, tucking the sheets around her as if depriving him a fourth round. "Why would I put a bullet through you?"

He sat upright and leaned against the headboard. "I don't know. Who knows what you might do to me if you get bored?"

"I'll just bake a lot more." She snorted.

Lucas tugged at her arm ushering her against him so she was straddling him. "The guards are complaining they put on some weight because of all your baking."

"They said that?" She gasped, feigning hurt. "Those lying turds. They said the cupcakes are worth all the weights."

He laughs, stroking her arm.

"Maybe I'll open a bakery or a coffee shop once all of this is over."

His hand faltered. "When the war is over?"

"Yes. I think it'll be nice. Gabby will finally be enrolled with the other kids. No more homeschooling. He will be able to play at the park without a bodyguard. And then when he's not home with me, I'll have the coffee shop to keep me busy. Gabby will be free." Her blue eyes went distant as she thought about the future.

He wanted to be there. But for a moment, he couldn't reach her even when he was touching her. "In a week it wouldn't be a wishful thinking anymore." The words left his throat like gravel.

Her face lit up. "Really?"

He nods. "North is offering a truce. South has weakened."

"Truce?"

"Yes. Charles Logan is offering his eldest daughter to Jacob."

Her eyes rounded. "Jacob is getting married?"

"She's his to take or leave. Either way we had the North on our side."

She smiled. "This will be over soon?"

"Yes. I promise."

This will be over soon.

Sophie threw her arms around him. For the first time, he didn't want her to be happy. Because he was miserable as fuck.

Something looms overhead. He knew it was far worse than having a knife plunged to his heart.