(13) Sweet

Sophia

The war is far from over. There are more soldiers guarding the beach house. Sebastian doesn't leave Gabby's side. He's read him books and taught him how to play board games. Which left me with nothing else do but worry if Lucas will come home.

I bake all day. The guards are more than willing to eat cookies every day. Or if they were so fed up with it, they try to hide it because it might hurt my feelings. So, I upgraded to muffins and cupcakes. I bake several batches of them every day, hoping the one opening the door was Lucas. Hoping he comes home early so he would have time to kiss me.

On a few occasions, he did came home early. And we always made out, stopping when we know Gabby and Sebastian were about to come to the living room.

I look out the glass sliding doors leading out to the shore. The night skyline was glittering from the stars. I wish I could stroll down the beach with Lucas.

Paul comes in the kitchen, my heart leapt and sank back again. He was taking two cupcakes from the tray. He probably saw the disappointment in my eyes because he gave me a sympathetic smile. "He'll have more time for you when the war is over."

I forced a smile, grasping for comfort from his words. I found none. The war being over meant it was safe for me and Gabby to leave. And for Lucas to fulfill his promise. I'm not sure if I wanted the same things anymore.

"Can you give these to the others?" I handed him the last two cupcakes.

He nods. "Sure."

"Thank you."

I wasn't sure if time dragged or flew by. The next thing I knew, Gabby was kissing me good night and Sebastian was taking him to his bedroom, a bedtime story in hand.

I waited in my room, listening for a car pulling over the driveway. It was half past midnight when I see headlights coming from outside. I draw the curtains of my window, my heart doing a happy dance when I saw Lucas approaching the beach house.

It was completely dark. But I knew it was him.

His brother and the other soldiers towed behind him. I waited for footsteps. For slight commotions next door. When I did hear them, I jumped off the bed, scrambling for my slippers.

I opened his bedroom but found no one inside. I was about to leave when I hear the shower running. I lock the door and sat on the side of his bed, waiting impatiently for him to finish his shower.

I drummed my fingers on my thighs.

Finally, the bathroom door swished open. Lucas comes out, raven hair dripping from the shower. A towel hang loosely around his hips which left his chest bare and deliciously on display. He had a few cuts on his abdomen. Some healing scars on his broad chest.

My pulse quickened as my face seared.

Lucas froze when he saw me. "Sophie?"

"Hi." It came out breathlessly.

Something clouded over his gray eyes when I stood up, my fingers unknotting the strings of my night robe. "Sophie."

"Yes?" I breathed.

"It's not safe for you to be in my bedroom right now." His voice was long, his gaze intensifying.

I inched closer until my toes were touching his. "I thought we have bodyguards."

"You know what I'm talking about. I'll meet you in the living room," he says through gritted teeth as if losing grip of himself.

I put a hand over his bare chest.