(5) Kelly

Kelly

Annie made it to our parents' house by the time we got home. Mitchell effortlessly heaved out all of the shopping bags from the trunk. He was invited to dinner, but he declined, claiming he had to go to the restaurant.

"Kelly, are you sure you're okay with all this?" Annie asks for the nth time this evening.

The Christmas decors were by in the living room to be put up once they went shopping for the perfect Christmas tree.

And my family doesn't choose from tree stands around town. We chopped it down straight from a few Christmas Tree Farms.

"Annie, for the last time, having Mitchell around doesn't bother me at all."

"Are you sure?"

I took a gulp of my eggnog. "Of course. It's not like we have bad blood between us. Plus, we're mature adults and we're way passed the past," I say with a dismissive hand.

She rubbed her round belly thoughtfully. "Good. Because I'm going to ask the slightest favor."

"Oh, okay." I cross my leg over the other and leaned in.

"We're supposed to go tree shopping tomorrow, but I have a doctor's appointment and Craig can't come with me, so I'm going to ask mom. Jake might not be able to go with you because Oliver caught the flu – poor thing. So, there's just going to be you and Mitchell."

My back snapped straight, tension building in my stomach. "Sure. No problem. What specific Christmas tree are we looking for?"

"I trust your judgements, Kelly."

I forced myself to nod. "Okay. Cool. Consider it done."

She smiled. "Thank you. It's a good thing Mitchell doesn't have a family of his own yet, huh? If he was, God, I don't know how our parents will live." She giggled.

I let the thought linger to see how it would taste. The thought of Mitchell not being to come by to fix things for our parents. The thought of Mitchell going to his wife – probably next door.

The taste was sour. And the thought bothers me more than I can admit. I shut it off and let my mind wander to a safer thought like chopping down a Christmas tree for the first time. The tree shopping wasn't my field. But I guess there's always a first time for everything. A groaning car from outside snapped me from my train of thoughts. "Who's that?"

"That must be Craig. I have to go." She pushed off the couch and reached over the coffee table to get her purse. Mom and dad have been asleep an hour ago, but I stayed up with her to do some catching up. Although most of the catching up was about the quirks and hassles of her pregnancy, it was fine by me. She didn't ask me about New York like our relatives did. She didn't ask me about my publishing deals, didn't ask me how different it was living in an apartment building surrounded by bustling affairs of the city instead of a picket white fence.

I wanted to tell her all about it, but I clamped my mouth shut.

I walked her to the front door. Craig was impatiently waiting outside, his breaths coming out like puffs of smoke. He had his gloves, but it was seemingly not enough because he pocketed his hands in his jacket. He didn't say 'hi.' Not even a ghost of acknowledgement. Without my Mom and Dad, we didn't have to fake politeness.

"I'm really glad you're home, Kelly." My sister pulls me into a hug.

I pushed her into arm's strength and buttoned the rest of her coat. "Me too."

The couple left and then there was an empty silence when I closed the door. A part of me missed home, but however brutal it may sound, I still hadn't fully decided whether it was a good idea that I came. Suddenly, the sound of the back door opening and closing made me jump.

My heart thudded.

Not because it might be a thief, but I know who it was.

There's only person who has a key in the house and uses it this late in the evening. I gulped and padded quietly to the kitchen. The light was on and I can clearly see a broad back hunched behind the refrigerator door.

I cleared my throat.

He closes the refrigerator and turns all the way to me. "You're still up."

I walked further into the kitchen and propped my elbows on the counter.

"Was that Craig?"

I nodded. "He came to take Annie home."

"Did she tell you we're going tree shopping tomorrow?" He slid a hand to his pocket.

I nodded again.

"You're okay with it?"

"I am if you're okay with the fact that you're going with a rookie."

He chuckles.

I stared, half-dazed at the sound I hadn't realized I missed until now.

"I hope it didn't scare you for coming in. I still have keys."

"It's okay. I knew it was you."

"I brought you guys Peppermint Cheesecake."

I arched a brow. "You made it?"

"Yes."

I couldn't help but smile. "Can I have a slice?"

His lips curve a little. "Sure." He turns to the fridge and retrieve the cake. I stared as he moved around the kitchen to get me the plate and fork.

I guess it was my endless weakness for holiday treats, but when he laid the slice of Peppermint Cheesecake in front of me, I smiled like a kid. "Thank you." I speared a small bite to my mouth and let it linger in my tongue.

"You're welcome. I have to warn you though. It's not as perfect as anything you had in the city during the holidays."

I looked down to the cake. "This is passably perfect."

He didn't say anything.

"Mitchell?" I shift my gaze back to his face that were not giving away anything but blankness.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry about this morning. I didn't mean it. I'm thankful that you're here for my parents."

He nodded. And say nothing more.

Which is okay. And completely understandable. Maybe I was just expecting a warm welcome from someone I so thoughtlessly left behind. I'm not entitled to it. Not after what I put him through.

A shard rose in my throat. "I think I'll just take this to my room." I scoop the plate off the counter and turned to the doorway without another word.

Without a backward glance.

Like last time.