Ending (Mitchell)

Mitchell

He expected an empty house when he came home on Christmas day. As empty as the aching gape in his chest. But instead, there were clatters of pots and pans coming from his kitchen. He shuffled quietly toward it, his heart skipping a beat when he sees Kelly.

Distrusting his eyes, he murmurs, "Kelly?"

She turns away from the clutter of pans soaking in the sink. "Hi. Sorry. I was hoping to make something for you when you get home but I failed... so many times. And then I realize it will be hopeless to impress a great cook like you. So, I'm just cleaning my mess." She wipes her hands with the front of his apron that she's wearing more attractively than anyone.

He shot her a confused look.

"Oh, and I need your opinion." She unknotted the apron and slid it off. She happily saunters toward him, taking his wrist and ushering him to his living room.

He followed cluelessly.

Kelly is in his house. And she doesn't look like she was going back to New York.

There was a stepladder by the Christmas tree, the tree topper that she chose missing. "Now I know I said that topper was great. But I saw this plaid, white and gold decorative bow and thought it was better."

He squeezes her hand and pulled her close. "Kelly, what's going on?"

"Hmm? The decorative bow?"

He shakes his head, hope settling on his chest. "Why are you still here?"

"Oh. You want me to go back to my house?" Her face flushed.

"No." He groans. "No. God, no."

"I just meant "what are you still doing here when you should be packing?""

She blinks, turning beet root red. "Because I want to be here."

"In my house?"

She shakes her head. "No. With you."

"With me," he hears himself say.

She looks down to his chin, anywhere but his eyes. "I came here because I'm hoping you'll ask me to stay."

His heart thudded, swelling for this adorable woman in front of him. "Why?"

She raises her gaze back to his face. "Because I love you. Not because it's the holidays and I'm lonely. But because I simply do love you. I still do. And I don't want to make the same mistakes by leaving."

His tongue glued on the roof of his tongue.

She nervously bit on her lip. "Please say something."

He looks at her, searching her face. Searching every evidence that he wasn't dreaming. "You know, funny thing is, I was hoping you'll ask me to wait. Because I'm still in love with you. Always has. Always will be."

Her eyes welled with tears. "Really? But if do stay, I'm gonna to make one your rooms an office to do my writing. I work late because nights are when I'm mostly inspired to write—"

He cuts her off by stamping his mouth on hers. "Anything, Kelly. Just stay and let me love you. Just stay and spend all your holidays with me for the rest of you life," he murmurs against her lips.

She winds her arms around his neck. "Gladly. Merry Christmas, Mitchell."

He rested his forehead against hers, grinning like an idiot. "It is now."

The End

I'm thinking about writing an Epilogue. And I think I just made up my mind. Stay tuned for the Epilogue. Will be posted tomorrow (or Friday?) ! Love you! Also, what do you think? Please do tell if I suck at holiday-themed love stories. lol. Actually, no, I changed my mind. Don't tell me. I'd like to think I didn't write crap. Even just for a little while.

Xoxo.