(2) Mitchell

Mitchell

It was a good idea to decline the Parrs' invitation. He would've, but Robert Parr insisted. He'd been a father figure to him when his own decided to leave him and his mother to fend for themselves. And his wife, Karen Parr has been a second mother to him. His best friend, the oldest among their children is the brother he wished he had. There's the twins too.

Mitchell would've beat up any douchebags who dared mess with Annie Parr and... Kelly. Well, it's a little different kind of beating when it comes to Kelly. Sure, he'll move heaven and earth for Annie, but that's because he loves her like a sister.

He and Kelly is a lot more... complicated? And a whole lot complicated when she broke his heart three years ago and left. Left without coming back for the holidays – hell, any occasions for that matter. Not even when his mother died of cancer two years ago. She did sent her condolences via ginormous bouquet of flowers. Still, he hoped she'd come home. Because she would've been the only thing who would make things a little right even when they're not.

That was Kelly for him.

Safety.

Comfort.

Apparently, his own destruction too.

However gorgeous she was casually sipping her wine from across the room, she still broke him like the devil. Never mind that she's looking hot as sin with her red hair curling around her shoulders.

She changed it. It used to be a lot lighter. Now, they're enhanced. Mitchell knew she's been insecure about it. But he's always loved it. Especially when they're strewn against his pillows. When they glide smoothly between his fingers.

"Glad you could make it, buddy." Jake handed him a glass of wine and gave his arm a light pat.

He regarded the glass brimming with wine. "Am I drinking for two?"

"I figured you needed it," he answers, his gaze flitting over to Kelly who had her neighbors huddling up around her as she tells a story.

Mitchell rolled his eyes. "It's been three years, man."

He merely shrugged. "Okay. You're over it. I get that."

"You're seriously not drinking?"

Jake slid his hands to his pockets. "I'm driving the kids to Jenna's parents."

"They sure are babysitting a lot."

"Well, I can't say I'm not pleased about that. Jenna and I are having a lot of alone time. Don't be surprised if I get her pregnant with our fourth kid." He wagged his brows at him.

He chuckled. "Slow down. Harry is four years old, Oliver is three and Craig just turned two."

"The more the merrier." Jake lifted his shoulders. "I just wish Kelly is around as much Annie. My kids practically wouldn't know her if she doesn't send them gifts all year round."

A bile rose in his throat. "You told me the Antique Shop is reeling in more customers from a few towns."

It wasn't the smoothest dodge from the conversation, but his friend relented.

"Yes. Business is doing great. I'm even giving out Business cards to city people now. We're getting more tourists around here. I guess that's a favor to the restaurant too, eh?"

He nods. "It is. We're doing great." He let his eyes roam idly inside the Parrs' living room. A lot of the neighbors has left, and so far, the guests were thinning out.

Annie has taken a seat on the sofa next to her husband who managed an awkward welcome hug with Kelly. The two never really got along.

Robert and Karen are stuck on Kelly's side, fascinated by their daughter. Fascinated by the changes. Fascinated of where her ambitions have led her.

She is now a big-time writer for crying out loud! She got what she wanted from all those years ago. Gone was the small-town girl who insisted she rides a bike in grade school because she said she likes the wind in her hair. This was a sophisticated city chick who dresses fancy as gracefully as she buries all traces of the Kelly he used to know.

There was the confident laugh, replacing the sweet shy one she had back then. It has sounded more genuine too. She's now talking about books she wrote instead of the books she read. She really did come along way.

Her parents were practically caging her in, terrified she might up and leave again like last time. He can't really blame them for missing their daughter so much. She was the quiet one between the twins and he had been around long enough to know sometimes Kelly felt like her cheerful twin overshadowed her.

"You're staying for dinner." Jake splintered his thoughts.

"No," he murmurs.

His friend lets out a soft laugh. "That wasn't a question. Dad is going to ask you to stay for dinner."

Mitchell gritted his teeth.