Chapter | Thirty-seven

Start from the beginning

I'm glaring out on the window on my right, thinking of how come none of them has come to me yet.

I thought they would fetch me and drag me back home to NY once they knew where I was.

"Are you seriously doubting that, Eve? Of course, they knew where you were. Shit, now I'm happy they have known all along if you're asking me and care to know," Jason says relieved, looking damn happy and thankful to the mysterious car that has gotten us rid of the black SUV.

I look at his face, hard and tensed while insanely speeding towards my home and I understand now just how much pressure I've been putting on him lately and he has never complained, not even once. I don't know if he's taking this role so seriously for me or if he's just deeply faithful to dad.

Either way, he's doing a great job.

"I wasn't doubting, I was just hoping they wouldn't," I mumble, shifting my eyes back on the window.

I don't really know what has been in my mind. I should have known, it has been way too quiet around me since I'm in Italy.

Of course, they are watching! Of course, they will send their men to keep their eyes on me. Of course, I'm not allowed to be on my own. Of course, my father has to be the all-mighty, I'm saying to myself when the phone stops the train of my thoughts, buzzing with a call, and I fish it out of my purse.

"Hey, aunt Feli," I reply, seeing her name on the screen and trying to sound as sweet as possible, unable to read her mood from the tone of her voice.

I don't know what to expect, as I've left her a sobbing mess earlier.

On another hand, my home is just a little over twenty minutes walking distance from hers and I'm knitting in my mind an excuse for not being home yet.

"Sweetheart, can you give me Jason, please?" she asks, and I hand him the phone, puzzled and silently asking him with a frown in my eyes why aunt Feli wants to talk to him.

Jason grabs the phone from my hand, ignoring the awe on my face and keeping himself on alert with our surroundings.

"Yeah. All good. Sure. I'll tell her to call you back once we're home," he speaks on the phone and hands it back to me as soon as they are done, saying nothing and completely ignoring my stare.

"Well?!" I yelp at the limit of my patience.

"That... was Don Enzo on our tail," he says, and I raise my eyebrows at him, staring in shock.

"Enzo wants to kill me?!" I ask horrified, gauging my eyes at Jason who is losing control over the steering wheel just for a second there, hearing my words.

"What?! No! Jesus, Eveline! What the fuck?! How the fuck did you understand that?!" he is bubbling, sweat sparkling at his temples, looking scared as fuck.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask, seeing the sudden change in his voice.

"If your words ever reach Don Enzo's ears I'm dead meat, Eve!" he rattles almost in horror and I smirk, even giggle lightly.

Oh, God, no! Of course, I would want nothing to happen to Jason. He has been more than just a friend since we're here, and his support is priceless, but he looks really cute, being afraid of Enzo like that.

If anything, Enzo should be grateful to Jason for being here with me and taking care of me the way he does.

"I meant the car that helped, those guys were sent by Don Enzo," he clarifies while crossing the gates of my new house and I laugh at my own crazy thoughts, my chest becoming heavy with an inhale that stubbornly doesn't want to free itself from my lungs, Enzo's name resounding in my ears, shaping his handsome face in my mind and making my silly heart race like a wild horse.

I don't worry, though. It's the usual effect Enzo has on me, be it in person or just merely hearing his name.

And being pregnant is another blessing to my hormones, making them jump like popcorn, heat burning my flesh from the crown of my head to the tip of my toes, those toes that are curling whenever I close my eyes and fancy Enzo, my Enzo touching me, kissing me, loving me, pounding in me with thirst and need.

Jason parks the car and springs around the car to my side and opens the door for me to get out.

The house is no more than two stories, painted in white with Santorini's blue roof and I love it!

The yard is filled with green bushes and colorful flowers all over and somewhere in the back I can see a beautiful patio with white curtains fluttering in her light, hot wind.

"If you walk through here for about 12 minutes and then you take right, in about another 10 minutes more you'll reach the restaurant," he says in a soft tone, bending his head a bit close to my ear and pointing me the back yard and a gate that surely takes you to the beach.

I smile and turn my head to the left when he's done and look towards the beautiful vastness of the Mediterranean Sea, with golden sands ashore and small shops in the distance arranged like beads on a thread.

"If only I was not alone..." I whisper to myself, enchanted by my new home, but saddened for being here without Enzo.

I have dreamed about our home, which now seems a further future than ever, or maybe even impossible.

I went to sleep early, the day had been long and exhausting and the next two days were going to be even harder.

The opening of my restaurant was supposed to be in one week but Jason thought it would be better to have everything ready before that and leave the last days just for unforeseen details. He said it was good to open while the weather was nice and people were going out still and we should leave no room for reasons to postpone.

I agreed. The next two days will be hard but my grand opening will be without surprises, and my dream will finally come true.

Aunt Feli insisted we visit them the next day, to start the day together with a good breakfast, just right for a pregnant young lady (her words), then we would all go to the restaurant, meet the team, and brainstorm the opening day.

Of course, I stayed in my home twenty-four hours. That's all aunt Feli could handle, calling me each two hours to ask how I was.

Why I've moved out of her home, I swear I don't know. Because after just one day I'm back in her home.

And again I leave Jason and Massimo to prepare everything for the big day.

We arrive at aunt Feli's place right at breakfast time, which has been delicious and I've eaten just enough for five pregnant women. Once done, aunt Feli suggests that I take a rest on the patio while she's changing Emilia's dress to a clean one.

Yup, you got it! Lollipop stains all over her dress.

I swear this kid is worse than boys, I tell myself while taking advantage of the peace around, and I lay on my back on the sun-bed, enjoying the warmth of the sun and trying to imagine the grand opening of my restaurant.

We're ready. We're so much ready and I can't wait for this one week to pass.

Will Enzo come? If he knows where I am, he definitely knows my plans as well and for sure about the opening day.

Should I call him? Should I ask him to come?

The doorbell stops the train of my thoughts and I realize there is nobody to get to that door since it rings three times more, so I stand up and get inside, walking towards the front door.

"I'll get it, aunty Feli," I shout to her thinking she must be busy with Emillia.

I grab the doorknob and pull it open, my oblivious eyes falling on my mom's frame, standing on the other side of the door, glamorous like ever, a not-so-surprised smile spread on her face while I'm pretty sure I have my jaws dropped to the floor.

*****
Thank you so much for reading and if you've liked it please leave a vote. ⭐️