Chapter Forty-One: Family Disputes

Start from the beginning

"You said this was a surprise attack?" I asked, brows furrowed in my semi-mock anger.

"Yes, Sir."

"Then how did our enemy know when we were attacking, General? Who else besides the Generals knew of the attack?"

His dark brown eyes shot to the other Generals before swallowing thickly, "Everyone in the troops we deployed could have had enough time to leak it. But we also shared this information with- Prince Daithí!"

At the unexpected exclamation, I stiffened while the General's froze with their eyes locked on a spot behind me. When they began to bow in respect, I cleared my expression completely before turning around to face him. The young Prince stood in the doorway of the conference room, his dead lavender eyes focused on mine with a smirk that reminded me of Macha.

Pushing off the door frame, the pale Prince began making a slow lap around the room, "Generals. Commander. I heard we lost the first battle. Mother is severely disappointed in you all."

Keeping my eyes on him, I spoke without inflection, "Prince Daithí, I wasn't aware you were visiting the base. Again."

"I wouldn't expect you to, since you've been off gallivanting for two weeks. I've been here ever since our last conversation, Cillian. Where have you been?"

"Unless your mother confided that information with you, I am not at liberty to say."

Lavender eyes narrowed ever so slightly, "Have you at least found our mole? Or are you too busy?"

Not reacting to the jab, I motioned to the Generals, "I was just going to get a name, My Prince. Before you arrived."

"No need. Looks like I've beat you this time, Cillian." Stopping behind the last General, Daithí placed a hand on the man's shoulder, "General Darragh, how long did you think your mate's connection with the traitor's army would go unnoticed?"

The man quickly shook his head, "No-wait, My Prince. My mate hasn't spoken to her brother in years. Not since before he was banished from the Unseelie Kingdom. It must be someone else, it's not her."

"Are you suggesting your Prince is wrong, General?"

Caught off guard, the man opened and closed his mouth repeatedly until the Prince spoke again. "Treason is the highest offense in our Kingdom, General. And unfortunately for you, the Queen is no longer showing leniency."

General Darragh didn't make it to his next breath before Daithí tightened his grip on his shoulder and the choking began. The Prince pulled the air from the man's lungs until the General was breathlessly gasping and clutching his throat. Face turning blue, I watched blankly as the man died painfully slow at his Prince's ability. I could feel the heat from the Prince's pale gaze against my face, watching and waiting for me to express any emotion. When the man finally dropped to the ground, eyes and veins bulging, Daithí stepped back and silently gestured to him.

Already knowing what I needed to do, I walked past the other Generals silently looking on in badly concealed terror. Maneuvering around the still technically alive man until I was standing across from Daithí, I lifted my axe high before bringing it back down hard. Little resistance met the blade of my axe as it sliced cleanly through the males skin, muscle and bone. Blood splattered against the shins of our leather trousers moments before the axe hit the stone underneath the man with a final crack. Squatting down, I grabbed the head by the hair and turned to the others.

Holding the head high, I barked, "I want to see the next battle plan and tentative war plans within two days. Or I find new Generals."

Tossing the head into the middle of the broken table, I exited the room with the hopes of Daithí not following me. But I could already hear his footsteps sounding out against the stone behind me. Internally sighing in frustration, I stopped and turned around to face him so I could get this over with. I needed to be out kicking my brother's ass into shape, not playing mind games with the Prince.