Chapter Eleven: Crazy Off

"You. Fucking bitch."

Well, then.

At her voice, the knife in my submerged hand melted back into the royal blue bands that decorated my fingers. Silver and blue against rich brown skin contrasted so beautifully it was almost hypnotizing. Unfortunately, Dani's cutting voice yanked my attention to her looming form. Dropping my head back against the rim of the tub, I stared blankly at her stormy expression.

"You're going to make me blush if you keep complimenting me, Babes."

"Did you really think I wasn't going to find out? Were you even going to tell me?"

"You're right. Cheating was in poor taste, I should have just dumped you."

Pink eyes rolled in annoyance, "Just tell me, you not actually going to see that crazy bastard?"

Pressing a hand to my chest, I jutted my chin out in an appalled expression. "First of all, there is only one crazy bastard in history and that's me. Secondly, why are you upset? You like Afric."

"No, Macha. You like him. Afric is a certified lunatic, who you never should've made a deal with." She announced, sitting on the bed a good distance away.

Shaking my head, I stood and gave her my back while using a spare tunic to dry off. With only a few hours of sleep in my system, I wasn't in the mood to listen to her talk down at me for a deal she was there for. Popping open the wooden chest, I dug around for something appropriate to wear to Afric's den.

Sliding on a pair of matching undergarments, I muttered, "I didn't hear you complaining when I made it."

"That's because I never thought you'd ever actually call it in."

Wiggling into a pair of grey leather trousers, I snorted, "You don't actually believe that, do you?"

"For once in your life, Macha. Be serious."

"What do you want me to say?" I sighed, grabbing a black long sleeve.

"That you're not going to collect on a Death Deal with a Den Head Banshee tonight."

Shrugging on the tunic, I finally turned around to face her. "I can't do that."

"Damned to the ground, Macha!" Dani shouted. Jumping from the bed, she pointed a sharp nail in my direction. "Afric is not to be toyed with."

"And neither am I. So, back off." I gritted out between pointed teeth.

For a moment it looked like she was going to scream at me again until her shoulders slumped. Smoothing a hand over her pink and black curls, she groaned, "Look, I'm not trying to piss you off. You can obviously handle yourself, it's just..."

"Just what?"

"You and Afric play an intense game of who's crazier, Macha. Are you sure you're up for that?"

An honest to Divines, genuine grin spilt my face followed by a hysteria tinged laugh. "Oh. You don't have to worry about that, Babes. Trust me. It's Afric who should be concerned."

Pink eyes searched my face, "Okay. If you're really doing this then I'm coming too. And despite what you want us to believe, you're not crazy."

Rolling my eyes, I slipped on my boots and walked around to the other side of the tent. Why did people always assume that my personality was an act? Maybe I was certifiable and maybe I wasn't but that didn't change who I was. If I had an urge to go toe to toe with a most definitely insane Den Head for a little thrill, why did it have to be an act? What couldn't it just be me?