Chapter 8: No Shoes

"Okay class, the project is due next Monday, so you have exactly one week to complete it. I expect A's from every single one of you." Ms. Cusick said, sitting behind her desk. "Now get started."

   I turned and looked at my biology partner, whom I was automatically paired up with since we sat beside each other. He didn't say anything, just continued doodling in his notebook. 

   "Um...you want to start...?" I asked. He stopped doodling and just looked at me, then went back to doodling. "Okay, maybe not," I muttered.

   My 'partner', Nathan, had black hair just as dark as mine, though his was dyed and mine wasn't. His skin was a bit tan and he had blue eyes. He might've been a bit cute if not for the fact that he seemed practically as lifeless as a zombie.

   Sighing, I opened up my book and started reading the lesson we were assigned to for the project. After about five minutes, someone asked, "What do you want to do for the model?"

    I looked up, trying not to let the surprise show in my face that Nathan had actually spoken. I've been partners with him since the beginning of the year, and not once had he spoken to me unless necessary...Then again, this might've been necessary, I don't know.

   "Um, I don't know. This lesson is about cells, right? So why don't we just make a model of a cell or something." I offered. 

    Nathan wrinkled his nose. "That's so basic."

   I frowned. At least I was giving a suggestion, I didn't see him trying to help in any way. "Yeah?" I said. "Well, at least I gave a suggestion."

   Nathan raised an eyebrow. "It's someones time of the month." He muttered. I glared at him, fuming. What was his problem? Who did he think he was?

   "I'll have you know that I'm not due till-"

   "Microscope." He said, cutting me off.

   "What?" I asked, still kind of mad.

   "I can build a microscope."

   I couldn't help but noticed how he'd said I, not we. I mean I was his partner, wasn't I? What's so hard about saying one word? I mean seriously some people these days have absolutely no respect what so ever. 

   When I realized he was still waiting for an answer, I asked, "How are we supposed to build a microscope?"

   He shrugged. "It's simple, really. I have almost everything you'd need to build one, so it should be pretty easy."

   "Okay," I said. The idea of building our own microscope did seem pretty cool, and guaranteed us an A. Most people didn't put as much effort into making the model. "So when should we meet?"

   Nathan looked at me like I was crazy. "Oh. we don't have to meet, I can just build it." 

   I frowned. "No, of course not. I'm not going to let you do all the work."

   He raised an eyebrow. "You sure? It'd be easier that way, instead of meeting. Most people just agree with it."

   "Well, I'm not most people," I said. "And we're meeting to make the model, I don't care what you say."

   Nathan just stared at me for a moment before saying. "Tomorrow at the library?"

   I shrugged, about to say sure, but then remembered that I was going to go over Holly's house for those piano lessons we'd talked about, and decided against it.  "Sorry, I can't tomorrow." I told him.

   "Okay, would today be okay, then?" He asked, and I nodded, remembering that I only worked on Wednesday through Saturday. "You want to just come over my house, then? I'd have to go back to get the equipment anyways."