Chapter 13: Don't Say A Word

"Flynn! We're going to The Ice Cream Shop to celebrate, you coming?" Kyle, one of our corner backs, the coach's son, and one of my best friends, called out. We were on the football field, just having to finish try outs. I tried out for running back and, of course, made it in.

"Celebrate for what?" I asked, chuckling, but still followed him and the other guys to the parking lot. "The season has just barely begun."

"Celebrate the beginning of a victory year." Messy said, coming up beside us. "And of course he's coming, Kyle. His girlfriend has a shift at The Ice Cream Shop today, he wouldn't miss an excuse to see her in a million years."

I slapped his head, rolling my eyes. "First off, she's not my girlfriend, and second, how the heck do you know that she has a shift today?"

Messy just shrugged, "Holly," He said, offering no further explanation.

We all piled into our own cars, Messy and Kyle tagging along with me.

"Did you hear about the new guy on the Vikings? I heard he's only 5'5, but crazy good at tackling." Messy said as we drove to The Ice Cream Shop. "And coach's new assistant? He's even stricter than coach! Oh yeah and-"

"Messy, I haven't even seen coach's new assistant, and he's my dad. Where the heck did you learn all this stuff from?" Kyle interrupted.

Messy shrugged, "I have my sources," Then continued rambling until we arrived at the shop.

Hopping out of my car, we met with all the other guys outside of The Ice Cream Shop. We were all still in full gear, coming here straight from try-outs and our first practice. So yes, I was quite sweaty, and my hair could've looked better than the tousled mess it was, but who cares?

We all piled into the shop, bumping into each other and practically filling up the place. Almost the entire team had come, with the exception of a few who had other things to attend to.

"Hey Peyton!" Messy called out to a bewildered Pey, who was standing behind the counter looking at all of us, as if mentally counting how many tables we would be taking up and exactly how much ice cream she'd be having to scoop.

It's not that The Ice Cream Shop never got customers, but they never had the rush-busy kind of business, and Peyton was the only counter person working these shifts, so she'd have to handle all of us on her own. Haha.

"Hey Pey," I said, sitting on one of the stools up at the counter, Kyle sitting beside me.

"Hi, I'm Kyle," Kyle introduced himself. "I've heard a lot about you."

Peyton smiled. "I'm Peyton, and I hope they were all good things."

"Trust me, they were," He said, grinning and glancing at me. I rolled my eyes, then turned to Peyton.

"Looks like you're pretty busy, now." I said, motioning to all the guys from our team who were currently deciding what kind of ice cream they should get.