27: This Isn't My First Rodeo

Mulai dari awal

"Tiara! Your fiancé's here!" Naborhi called out to me and I ran out into the living room immediately after.

"Why do you have a knife?" Derrek asked, eyeing the knife Naborhi was pointing downwards.

"Sorry. I wasn't expecting anyone." She apologized.

"Derrek, I'm so sorry! I forgot you were still out there!" I apologized as I walked up to him and he turned his gaze away from Naborhi and gave a small laugh.

"It's alright. I figured as much." Derrek shrugged before taking a look around. "You've got a nice place, Ana." He complimented and she smiled.

"Thank you. Please, come in." She gestured for him to come in with a pleasant smile on her face and he gave her a nod with a smile on his face as he stepped into the house.

"He's been outside this entire time? What the hell, Tia?" Naborhi whisper-yelled and smacked my arm, painfully. I glared at her as I rubbed the stinging spot to soothe the pain.

"It wasn't deliberate." I told her but she ignored me as she hurried up to catch up with Derrek.

"Are you hungry, brother in law?"

"Ana, what the actual hell?" I glared at her retreating form and she completely ignored me, leading Derrek into the kitchen while bragging about how great her Egusi soup was. I rolled my eyes and followed after them.

"Can you please put the knife away?" Derrek asked, obviously uncomfortable with how Naborhi had been twirling the knife in her hand. She could have poked someone's eye out with that thing.

"Sorry." Naborhi laughed as she walked ahead of him to set down the knife.

"Does she always answer the door with a knife?" Derrek turned around to face me with his eyes wide. I shrugged. I was just as scared at he was. "We're safe though, yeah?"

"One can only hope." I sighed.

Derrek spent the next hour eating and chatting with us—well, Naborhi and not me. He completely ignored me the entire time but I pretended to be busy, browsing on my phone, so, Naborhi didn't notice. I'd even muttered distracted answers when she threw questions at me.

It was a little after nine that evening when we all heard something drop in Naborhi's guest room. My eyes shot wide open as I remembered Ruby was tied up in her guest room. Naborhi seemed to remember as well as she stared at me with wide eyes. We had gotten carried away with Derrek being here that we hadn't thought of what to do before Ruby woke up. I couldn't let Derrek see Ruby here. No one could know we had kidnapped her.

"Uhm, Derrek? I need to speak to you." I called Derrek's attention and he hesitantly turned his eyes away from the hallway. Something else crashed in the guest room and my heart began to pound in my chest. Derrek's head had snapped back in the direction of the hallway. His lips parted to speak but Naborhi cut him off before he could say a word.

"That silly cat is always breaking things." Naborhi got up to her feet and pulled an upset face. It almost caught me by surprise but then I remembered she was an A list actress. "This is the last time I babysit someone's cat." She glanced at me and brushed her ring finger over her eyebrow before excusing herself.

I got the signal immediately and I felt very excited as I remembered the signal the girls and I had come up with years ago when we were tired of someone or maybe they made us uncomfortable and we wanted to leave. It was slightly different now though but I got the message. She wanted me to get rid of Derrek, so, we could take care of our Ruby problem.

"Derrek, can we talk outside?" I turned to Derrek as I got up to my feet. "Silvy is quite stubborn. Things could get really noisy and violent."

"The cat?"

"Yeah. She'll come running into the living room in a second and she'll attack the first person she sees, so, it's best we hang outside until Ana calms her down." I fibbed and I saw fear flash in Derrek's eyes for a moment before he regained his composure. Was he scared of cats?

"Right. I was about heading off anyway." He said as he got up to his feet. He walked ahead of me towards the front door and I heard Naborhi yell in pain. I panicked. What if Ruby had attacked her? I had to see if she was okay.

"Derrek, I'll meet you outside in a minute. I'll just check on Naborhi to see if she's okay." I told the grown man who looked like he was about to pee himself.

"You're going to the danger zone—I mean, be careful. I'll be outside." He said before scurrying off. I knew he was trying his hardest not to sprint out of the house. I laughed as soon as he was out the door. He was scared of a little kitty cat who wasn't even real.

The moment I heard Naborhi yell, I rushed towards the guest room. Naborhi was running down the hallway with a black ski mask on and a black gun in hand. I would have screamed bloody murder if I hadn't recognized her silky hot red pyjamas from earlier on. Where did she get a ski mask. She looked like a burglar.

"Go back right now!" She shooed me away with her free hand but I took another step forward and she pointed the gun at me. I screamed and instinctively threw my hands up in the air in surrender. "Don't speak! Just get out of here!" She ordered and it was then I realized she sounded weird. Her voice sounded unnaturally deeper. What the hell was she doing?

"Let me go, you psycho! Why did you bring me here?" I heard Ruby yell and my eyes snapped to the open door where my cousin was somewhere inside.

"I told you I would hurt you if you don't shut up, so, how'd you like me now, bitch?" Naborhi yelled, pointing the gun into the room and I heard Ruby scream. Naborhi was going way too far.

"What the hell are you doing with a gun?" I whisper-yelled and Naborhi shooed me away from behind her back with her other hand. "Ana!"

"Go! I'm serious!" She glanced at me briefly before turning her attention back into the room. I was getting very tense. I had no idea if that was a real gun or what she was planning to do with it. She had said we were going to get rid of Ruby over the phone. Naborhi hadn't gone psycho had she?

"Hey, is everything—Jesus!" Derrek practically screamed and I whipped around to see him wide eyed and staring at Naborhi. "Ana? What in the bloody hell is going on here?"

"Derrek, you should leave." I walked up to him, trying to convince him to leave but he was too stubborn.

"Why does she have a gun and a ski mask?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed. "Is she going to shoot the cat?" His eyes widened in horror and I shook my head, trying to push him away.

"No, I'll explain everything later. Just go, please." I stepped ahead of him and tried to pull him away by the arm but he was much stronger than I was and didn't move one bit. He was about to respond when a scream interrupted him.

"Help! Who's out there? Help me, please!" Ruby screamed for help and my eyes widened in horror. There was no saving us now. Derrek had heard everything. We were done for.

"Tiara, what in the bloody hell is going on?" Derrek turned to me for answers but I couldn't say a word. I had no idea how to begin.

"For the love of Christ!" Naborhi said just before she slammed the door loudly. Derrek and I turned in her direction to see her lock the door with a key and then, she turned to us, taking off her mask and pointing the gun in our direction.

"Ana? What are you doing?" I asked as she walked up to us.

"I liked you, Derrek. Sorry I have to do this." She said, pointing the gun at him.

***************************

Uh oh! Things are getting crazy.

Just what is wrong with Naborhi? Stay tuned to find out 😉

Who's your favorite character so far and why?

Please VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE

Thanks for sticking with this book. I really appreciate it. ❤️