Chapter 28 - Is it enough?

It's 8 in the morning right now, and this normally means there's at least a good 30 minutes or so left for me to lay in my bed before I need to rush to the bathroom and fresh up myself. If I did unfortunately made it to that point, that would also mean that I can only grab a bite or two of the breakfast my mom prepared, just so I can quickly leave the house or else, I would be late for work. And if that happens, (thankfully it never did cause I always made it just in time) I would be in so much trouble. Usually, my mornings would be like this, but today isn't one of those days.

 Somehow, my body has woken up itself even before my alarm started to scream in my ears. The initial plan was to sleep a bit more before I really have to get up, though my mind has some other plans. 

It took me back to the bench where Jennie looked so small as she cried in my arms, to the restaurant where we fight for the bill, and finally to the mansion when she seems to sadden as worries started to run in her head again, but that didn't last long, and a hug later, the light was back in her pretty eyes and her pretty smile. 

Suddenly, I realized, I really like her smile, and I want to keep it. I want her to be happy. Unconsciously I sighed, as I remember the reason that had Jennie cried in the first place. Jimin. It'll be hard to get her smile again if he's in the picture. But that isn't even enough of a reason for me to give up.  

And so with a newfound purpose in mind, I got up from my bed and started my day. 

This time, there was no need for me to speed through my routine, and with the extra time, I found that I quite enjoy this more than usual. Hm... maybe I should try to wake up early more. 

It didn't take long, and I was walking down the stair before the clock even ticked to 8:20. The sky outside was also a few shades darker than what I'm used to, I noted. "Well, you're up early." I tore my eyes from the windows and found mom's working on the countertop. 

My mom loves to bake and even though she doesn't have a shop, she does sell some of her creation to the neighbourhood and sometimes cafes as well. "Something's troubling you, darling?" Mom asked as she continues to knead the yellowish dough with ease however, I doubt it'll be the same for me. 

I shake my head with a small smile and walked to her. "No, just feeling more energized than normal." Mom only chuckles as she covers the dough with a giant bowl. "What are you making?" I asked as I lean against the counter, eying the soon-to-be-food ball of flour. 

"Oh, I'm making tarts!" Mom exclaimed with a grin. She dusts down on her apron before taking it off. "This is actually the second batch. The rests are in the fridge." Hearing that, I immediately stare at her with anticipation. Just when I was about to open my mouth, mom sighs, "Yes, you can have some, Lisa. But, after  you finish your breakfast." She warned with a stern face, before breaking into a smile when I cheered. 

"Hurray! Thanks, mom!" 

"Don't take too much, I promised Mrs Sean that I'll save her some." 

After I had my breakfast, I immediately ran to the fridge. As I have guessed, it was fruit tarts, but not just any kind, these are miniature fruit tarts! Which makes it even better as I can devour them with just one bite, allowing all the flavour to explode in my mouth.

 On my third piece, an idea popped in my head. I grab a small container from the cupboard and carefully place the tarts in. With that settled, I quickly head out with the goods, without my mom noticing any difference. 

Several moments later, I was in front of the mansion much earlier than before. Even the staff was shocked to see me. The door opens, revealing Mr Joe as usual. "Miss Manoban, you're here so soon. Is something the matter?" The butler greeted with an amused smile along with a hit of concern.