62

Eva

After so many wrong turns and decided to never rely on my memory again. I stood in front of the building that was being shot up and I was certain I was in the right place, it definitely had mafia-related ties.

I took in a deep breath and started walking towards the shooting building, I pray I make it out alive.

The sounds of the continuous rounds stopped, and the front door flew open with a slam.

The Cowardly woman inside of me wanted to let out a shrill scream, and run for the hills but instead, I hide at a corner and remained completely mute, even when whoever had opened the door started firing off on the porch.

Bullets came flying through the doorway, they seemed to never stop coming. I was covering my head with both of my arms and chewing my cheek so hard to keep from screaming I could taste blood. After what was probably only a couple of seconds of open firing the room was quiet.

"Hold!" I heard someone yell out. The shooting stopped. And then, I heard footsteps approach me. "Who are you?"

I managed to open my eyes to see a huge man standing over me. I jumped up quickly, still a little startled, one can never get used to this.

"I'm Eva."

"This is a dangerous place."

"I know, I'm here because someone sent me to find Kaber Ahmad."

"Who sent you?"

"Miles, he said Kaber Ahmad as something I could deliver."

He's skeptical but hummed knowingly,

"Come, little bird, I'll take you to the boss." He grabbed me by the elbow and pulled me down with him with so much speed,

I didn't even have the chance to examine the place, he just dragged me further down a flight of hallways, and stopped in front of two large wooden doors. He knocked, then pulled the handles and pushed the doors open simultaneously.

"Boss?!"

I middle-aged my sitting behind a desk, he lifts his eyes to look at me.

"Who is this?"

"Eva." I spoke up, "I'm assuming you are Kaber Ahmad." I walked over and extended my arms to him, "Miles said you have a package for me to deliver."

He took it with a nod,

"Miles might have forgotten to mention you're q..."

"A woman." I injected.

He clears his throat and moves from behind his desk, "Come, I would show to the delivery, there's a little delay, nothing we can't fix with more time." he talked as we walked.

"How long?"

"A few hours."

"That's fine."

"Do you have mafia ties?" He asked.

"No, I'm just an acquaintance."

"An acquaintance! I didn't know The Italians had dealings with Americans, they are known to be rivals for years."

I don't respond to that, we entered a storage room.

"My men would escort you."

"What's in the bag?"

"That shouldn't concern you, my men would escort you and make sure it's delivered safely."

"When do we leave?"

"If everything goes well tonight. Come, we will wait in my office." I followed him out of the room and into the hall, We walked side by side in silence for a good few seconds before I spoke up.

"Can I ask you something?"

He nodded,

"Go ahead."

"What happened during the war? The one between the knights." Before he answered me he made to escort me into his office and closed the door.

"Sit."

I nodded,

"Why do you ask?" He took a seat at his desk, facing me.

"Just tell me what happened."

He let out a frustrated sigh, saying.

"They were ambushed, someone had initiated an attack before they did, destroying most of the knights."

"Who?"

"They say it's Madam Mafia herself."

"Wait, that's Aurora, right?"

He nodded,

"You know her?"

"Yes, I mean I'm not sure. ...the Aurora I know would never betray her own, the Knights are her only family."

"The sad thing about betrayal is that it never comes from enemies. In this day and age, if you want to survive, prepare to be disappointed by everyone."

I couldn't believe it but somehow it all made sense, how she was always in place, at the right time.

"Aurora controls the major cartels in the country, all major supplies and distribution ports go through her."

She's been plotting the whole time, everyone thought Gabriel knight was the enemy, but in truth, it was Aurora and Antonio working together the entire time.

"What about Carlos? Do you know if he made it out?" The tone of my voice was hopeful.

"I fear he might be dead."