66

A thump on the door jerked me awake and out of a memory of him, have you ever had a dream so real you wish you hadn't woken up at all? That's exactly how I feel

I sighed as I started up at the ceiling, feeling melancholy.

The knock came in again and I was reminded why I had woken in the first place. I ran from bed to the bathroom to quickly freshen up before checking who it was, I don't exactly look my best in the morning.

I open the door and find the last person I expected to see behind the door, it was Miles, what's happening? I looked around him in search of the guards, he's probably here to drag me out.

"Can I come in?"

I swallowed hard and moved aside for him.

He walks and I shut the door behind, facing him. "To what do I owe the surprise?" I muttered, tugging my body anxiously, "Is Carlos okay?"

"Yeah, he's fine, that's not why I am here?

"Okay, what's going on?"

"I would be out for a while, I'm not sure when I would return, probably in a few months. . I need someone to look after Carlos while I'm gone."

I crossed my arms, "Does this mean you trust me?"

"I don't trust you but, right now I don't have a better option, so..."

"Of course." I snorted.

"You know what you have to do?"

"Now that you ask I'm not sure."

He nods and hands me a paper,

"I made a list of instructions."

"Did you now?" I was hesitant but I took it from him, it had everything Carlos needed while in coma, he was very detailed.

Something else caught my eyes on the list.

"Weekly wash," I said with a clear throat.

"He's not dead, he needs to be cleaned. ."

"I know, it's just...."

"Is that a problem?"

"What? No, of course not." I surged quickly, "But, it's a little weird, especially...Ahem."

"I'm not asking you to strip him, Eva. Just tidy him up at least three times a week, use a towel, would you like a demonstration."

"Wait, what, no.., I got it, I would figure it out." I had no problem tidying Carlos, I part timed in an old people's home in college. I just find it hard to picture Miles doing it, I really am, especially knowing how he feels about Carlos. ..Eva focus, I shook it off, and threw in a smile. "Don't worry about it.."

"I hope not.." he tugged his hand into his pocket and pulled out a phone, "phones aren't allowed in here but, you can use this to reach me, it's wired, so try not to go overboard with it." He passed me the phone.

I scoffed and took the phone from him, "At some point, I would have to contact my family, you know let them know I'm okay so they don't go filling a missing person's report."

"I will have Luis arrange a call."

"Thank you." I smiled in appreciation. Being in the same room with him was different now, especially when I'm aware of the guilt he carries on his shoulder.

"Okay, then.." He turns to leave.

"Miles." His name escaped my lips, he turns to look at me and I froze, "Ahem...." What do I say to him now? "Safe trip.."

He doesn't respond to that and just walks away, not that I expected him to.

I let out a heavy sigh and went to get ready. I showered, wore on some fresh clothes, and made it out in the hall.

I found Luis lingering, we chatted a bit and had breakfast before I went off to see Carlos. I clenched my hands on the soft material of the sweater I was wearing while staring at him, my fingers twitching to reach out to him and push back the dark silky strands fallen on his forehead, or feel his heartbeat, and allow myself some relief that had still there, but I refrain, I couldn't risk setting off the alarm.

Besides I'm pretty sure Miles has a camera hidden somewhere, I wouldn't take my chances, I might get lucky once or twice, but if Miles really wanted me out of here I would be gone in a second, I rather not risk upsetting him any further.

At the moment I'm perfectly content with just watching Carlos through the glass, as weird as that is.

I pulled up a chair and sat, talking to him. The doctors said he was an induced coma so there's a slight chance he was aware of his surroundings, I have no doubt he could hear me, Carlos was always very observant and perceptive, I don't think a man like him could ever be taken unaware.

I kept talking to him.

"You might be getting annoyed with my silly talks, I know I am, I'm talking crazy.." I let out a triffled laugh in between, "More like rambles, if you were awake you'd look at me with amusement, and mutter something I would have never understood in Italian." I let out another laugh, "Yes, I learned Italian, it took me a whole year but I did it.." My voice cracked and I paused, trying to clear my throat but the terrible feeling of a limo being at the back of my throat wouldn't go away.

I felt someone touch my shoulder and I stiffened a bit before looking up to see Luis, he had a worried gaze, staring at me.

"You okay?"

"Yeah.." Just as I pulled myself together something amazing happened, "Oh, my God." I jumped up quickly,

"What?" Luis looked closer."

"Wait, you didn't see that, his fingers just moved."

Luis snickered at my ignorant outburst.

"Eva, luv, it's not unusual for a living, breathing being to move." He taunted.

"Shut up." I punched him in the arm, having us both laughing. "That's a relief, at least I know he's in there..."

"He's in there alright."

"Whose idea was it anyway, I mean the glass thing."

"You had to ask."

"Right." I sighed depleted.

There's a sudden knock on the door, and we both turned to see a group of doctors, hurry-in, one of the doctor approached us with a smile while the others got ready,

"Sorry, we're late, the busses got delayed." He apologized.

"It's fine, Joe, I understand." Luis told him, I just threw in a smile, and watched him walk to attend to him.

I didn't quite understand what was going on,

"They are about to feed him." He read my thoughts.

"Oh okay."

"You don't have to stay? It's pretty intense."

"Yeah, don't worry about it." I spurred and returned my gaze to Carlos.