Eight

"Okay. Just keep your eyes closed.” Karlie pressed her hands against Taylor’s eyes as the elevator dinged and its doors opened for them.

Taylor laughed, playing along. “Karlie, I already know what it is. And I’m hoping it’s that cream-coloured leather couch we spotted about a month ago.”

“Oh, watch out. Random sock on the floor.” Ed pointed out hurriedly, looking up from his phone. “Wait. A sock. Out in the hallway. How casual. Taylor, you live in a messed up apartment.” Ed commented before returning to his phone, tapping away at the screen like a madman.

“No she doesn't.” They neared the apartment unit. “I knew I’d screw everything up, so I made a ‘Damn it, Karlie, you messed up’ plan.” Karlie said proudly to Ed, glancing at her watch, making sure everything was going as planned.

"Nice one." Ed nodded. “I could never pull off that. I’d probably just screw up my back-up plan. And the one after that, and the other after that.” They both cracked up.

“I’m right here, guys,” Taylor interrupted, before being completely ignored again.

“Your hands smell nice, by the way.” Taylor commented, as she felt around, to make sure Karlie wasn’t leading her into a wall. 

“Not as good as mine.” Ed laughed. “Mine smell like Sheba and tacos.” He sniffed his hands once more before nodding to himself and taking another whiff.

They turned another corner. “What.“ Karlie dropped her hands, walking around outside taylor's apartment, eyes searching.

"Okay. This is not good." She tried to contain her anger but ended up yelling at a plant. "Damn ikea." She mumbled to herself while they watched her cluelessly.

"You could always call them up." Taylor suggested as Ed slid down the wall and plopped down, still on his phone.

Karlie nodded, took the suggestion and dialled their number.

Taylor sat down next to him and grabbed her phone before setting down her purse. “Ha! I’m already on level 10 in Candy Crush. Try and beat that!”

“Well I’m on level 11. Ha!” Ed rebutted.

“Uggghhhh.” Groaned Becky, the film student at NYU who lived across the hall from Taylor as she heaved herself up the last step of the stairs. 

“ ‘Take the healthier choice,’ she said.” Becky made air quotes and said in a mocking tone. “ ‘It’s only like 9 staircases. It’s nothing.’ my ass!” 

She dragged her feet across the carpeted hallway, before stopping and leaning on the wall. “Walking sucks,” she said to herself. “I mean, that’s why there’s a freaking elevator right next to the staircase,” She exclaimed as she gestured to the elevator behind her. 

"Hey dudes." She flashed them an all-teeth smile and raised a hand as a gesture as she passed by Taylor, Ed and a furious Karlie on the phone.

"Hey Becky." Both Ed and Taylor said in unison as Becky dropped her bag of camera equipment on the floor and fumbled for her keys. "How was school?" Taylor asked amidst the jingling of the couple keys on the ring.

"Oh, it was great, mom. We got to do a documentary on frog disection." Becky beamed before making a belching sound. "It was the worst."

Becky shook the keyring furiously in the air, hoping for the key to suddenly land in her hand. "Here it is!" She raised the key in the air and was about to walk to her door when she noticed three huge boxes sitting on her doorstep.

"Oh no." She said in an agitated manner before flipping her phone out and and dialed a number she knew fairly well.

“Shelby, this better not be your doing.” Becky walked around and pointed at stuff as if Shelby were in the hallway with her. “I mean, our prank war doesn’t start until next week!”

"No, I didn’t prank you. I know I’m a genius, but I can’t pull off something like that in two days,” replied Shelby as she rounded the corner and stood in front of Becky. “Plus, I just got here. Here’s the rest of my luggage.” She gestured to the black bags behind her. 

Becky ended the call and slid her phone into her pocket. “Ooookay. Poke it and see if somebody screams. I owe those business management students some stuff and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were hiding in there, ready to pounce.” 

“Fine, you demanding bitch.” Shelby smirked as Becky made a face at her and crossed her arms. She poked the box, “See? Nothing.” 

“Go again, they could be holding in their screams or something. I swear, those people are crazy.” Becky insisted. 

“At this point, you’re the crazy one.” Shelby gave in, poking the boxes multiple times. “Still nothing. Stop being so paranoid. If ever they come here, I’ll gouge their eyes out with heels.” Shelby laughed.

“So what do we do with these now?” Becky asked and looked hard at the boxes as if she were solving a puzzle.

Karlie walked around, furious as she placed the phone back in her purse. “They assured me it was delivered to apartment 9-“ Karlie noticed the apartment number on Taylor’s door.”-not your apartment.”

“Okay, so I got it sent to 9D instead of 9B. Totally my fault. I should call them up and apologise.” Karlie smiled sheepishly and walked up to Becky and Shelby who were now high-fiving non-stop.

“101, 102, 103, 104. Oh hey.” Becky turned to look at Karlie, and Shelby followed. “Oh my God, Karlie Kloss.”

“Hey, I’m Karlie, and these are Ed and Taylor.” Karlie introduced themselves before apologizing about the mixup of the boxes and explaining everything.

Meanwhile, Shelby just stood there, taking in everything. Not quite well, though.

“Oh my God, Taylor Swift.” 

“Oh my God, Ed Sheeran.” 

“Oh my God. I’m fainting.”

“Oh great. Welp, I better dispose of her body before the authorities come around.” Becky said as she started to drag Shelby to their front door. “It was nice seeing you guys.” She waved with one hand before going back to carrying Shelby. 

“Bye.” They called after Becky as they entered Taylor’s, or to put it more accurately, Mer’s apartment.