Five

Taylor was deep in thought until a chubby gray cat who was meowing ran to her and rubbed against her legs. 

“I told you! Ha!” She said proudly as she pointed to the cat who was still meowing.

“Proved what, exactly?” Karlie raised an eyebrow as she hung her coat on the stand. “May I?” She put her hands on Taylor’s shoulders and took off her coat when she nodded.

“That it was calling out to me. Can’t you hear it calling my name?” She knelt down to rub the cat on its ear, which made the cat lie down and roll over. “Listen. ‘Taylooooor’”.

Karlie knelt down next to her and stroked the cat’s head. “All I hear is ‘Taylor, you’re a crazy cat lady.’”.

Taylor sighed, faking being sad and lowered her head. “But you’re my crazy cat lady.” Karlie grinned as she lifted Taylor’s face up to meet her own.

Karlie stood up and brushed off her pants. “Come on, MY crazy cat lady, let’s go get some coffee.” 

"How about you buy them and I’ll go ahead and get us a table?” Taylor suggested as she stood up and started backing away to the tables.

“Okay then. I’ll meet you there, Swift.” Karlie smiled before lining up.

Taylor walked around the cafe. It was quite big for a cafe, honestly. She was going through the books on one of the shelves when an orange tabby rubbed against her legs and rolled around the floor. “Hey buddy.” Taylor cooed to the cat before picking her up.

She found a complimentary bag of treats and took them from the shelf before settling down in a booth in the far corner.

She placed the treats out to form an outline of a fish as the orange cat watched intently before diving in. When the cat was through, it simply sat down in front of Taylor and watched her with such attention. 

“Are you bored?” Taylor asked the cat.

‘Meow’ was all the cat said and licked its paw.

“Well would you like to hear a story?” Taylor tried again.

The cat’s ears perked up and looked up from licking its paw. “So I guess that’s a yes?” Taylor smiled as the cat redirected his attention to hers. “Okay then.”

Taylor then told the cat about what had happened between her and Ed. Apparently, they ended on good terms. More than good terms, actually. They’ve seen each other a couple times after and have maintained a good friendly relationship. “But the worst thing is that I haven’t even told Karlie about all this.” She drifted off.

“I just don’t see how it’s all coming back to me now. Probably one of those days, huh?” Taylor dismissed . She fed the cat another treat as the cat meowed in gratitude.

Karlie found Taylor talking to a cat in one of the booths of the cafe. “Found a new friend, I suppose?” Karlie said as she placed two steaming cups on the table. 

Taylor laughed as the cat hissed at Karlie. “Oh, I’m sorry, sir. I didn’t mean to steal your girl.” Karlie backed off playing along, both hands in the air.

Taylor laughed and pointed to the seat opposite her. “Bob, be nice to Karlie. She’s my -“ 

She stopped mid sentence when she saw Ed approaching them, 3 cats trailing him and 4 cats in his arms. 

“I thought it was fair that I brought one myself.” Karlie said, gesturing to Ed who was now being attacked by more cats than ever.

“Hey, other half of “Sweeran”.” Ed air quoted as the cats jumped off of him and onto the table. “Oh. Traitorous little bastards.” Ed smiled, scratching his forehead with his finger.

Taylor smiled back as she shut out all the memories and left them in the past, opening a new door to even more incredible things. 

Friendship. 

Just like the Spice Girls song goes, friendship never ends, unlike most things.