Six

The tiny bell rung as the café’s glass door shut behind them. “I guess winter finally came. It’s freezing.” Ed rubbed his hands together for warmth. “Thanks for the head’s up, Ned.” Ed raised the gloves he pulled out of his coat as if to raise a glass to the late Lord of Winterfell.

Taylor clung to Karlie, who was tapping away on her phone. “I know. Karlie doesn’t seem bothered by it, though.” Taylor reached up to poke the taller girl’s cheek. “Is your body like numb?  Do you even feel the cold?”

 “Yeah, do you even feel the cold?” Ed walked up to her, poking her opposite cheek. Karlie smiled as she placed the phone back in her purse laughing at the pair of seemingly professional, but actually childish individuals. 

“Come now, children. Your father is going to arrive any moment soon, and I want you both to be on your best behavior.” Karlie held out a hand for both Taylor and Ed to hold.

“But mommy, can we at least get ice cream first?” Taylor pouted as she pointed to the ice cream stand not too far away from them. “Please?” She wiggled around like a 5-year old about to throw a tantrum.  

“And some candy floss right after?” Ed added in, pouting and looking up at their ‘Mom’.   Karlie gave up, giving in. “All right, alright. Come along children, we best hurry.” She laughed as she swung her arms, Ed and Taylor playing along.

Taylor ended up getting a mint chocolate ice cream, which she split with Karlie. Ed was happily making candy floss moustaches and trying to eat them off his face. “This is so much fun. Gee, thanks mom!”  

“Anything for you, sugar plum,” Karlie spoke in an accent as she landed a kiss on Ed’s forehead. “Mom, you’re embarrassing me.” Ed whined as he ate his candy floss.  

Taylor snickered as she licked the ice cream dripping down the cone, “Oh, don’t you go laughing, Alison. There’s more from where that came from.”   

Karlie chased after Taylor as she ran around in circles, trying to outrun her ‘mother’. Being the clumsy woman-child that Taylor is, she tripped but just in time for Karlie to catch her. “Woah. Careful there, Swift.” The taller blonde let out a laugh as Taylor stared into her sea-green eyes, drowning deeper and deeper into them.  

Karlie landed a kiss or two on Taylor’s forehead. “Didn’t I tell you there was more from where that came from?” She smirked.  

“Stop eeeet.” Taylor laughed, looking away, cheeks flaring as she tried to squirm free from Karlie who wrapped an arm around her and was pretty much tickling her to death.   

“Beep beep.” Imitated the driver as he pulled to a stop at the curb, his window rolled down. Karlie let go of Taylor, “Looks like you were saved by the beep, Swift.”   

The driver, Norman, tipped his hat and smiled. "Lovely day, ain't it?"

Taylor straightened out her dress. "Couldn't be better." She mumbled to herself, smiling.  

“Come on, Ed Cheerio.” Karlie smiled as she motioned for Ed to come over. “I call shotgun!” He scream-ran to the front door, past Taylor and Karlie.  

“Guess you’re stuck with me.” Karlie shrugged as she leaned on the open car door, eyes locked on Taylor. “Get in, loser. We’re going shopping.”   

Taylor ducked into the car. “You just know the things to say, don’t you?” Karlie jumped in next to Taylor. “Oh please, i’m Kloss. Karlie Kloss.”