Chapter 55 : Makeup

Weeks passed. Jane managed to catch up majority of the subjects, but she kinda gave up chemistry, even if Max was giving all her energy for her to understand. To congratulate Jane for all the progress she made, Joyce invited Jane, Constance, and Robin to spend the night with them. They all went to the grocery shop with a list. Jane and Max were more following them than actually caring of the diner, not just because Constance knew better than her sister what she was allowed to eat, but because they were just happy to spend the night together. Jane was looking at all the things she wasn't allowed to eat anymore, feeling a bit sad. Max noticed it so she kissed her cheek to make her smile, which worked.

But the redhead saw something a bit farther that she didn't want to see. It was more someone than something. Neil was standing at the end of the section with Susan next to him. The two adults noticed her and looked at her with angry eyes. Jane turned to see what her girlfriend was looking at and placed herself in front of her when she met their eyes. Susan and Neil began to walk in their direction. Max tried to force Jane to move, not wanting them to hurt her, but the brunette was determined to stay here. They were at a few centimeters of them when Constance and Joyce placed themselves between the two girls and the two adults.

- "Don't even dare touching them," Joyce said with a threatening tone.

- "Don't even look at them," Constance added with the same tone.

- "She is my daughter!" Susan replied.

- "No! Since you preferred choosing your abusing husband instead of her, she is my daughter now," the mother affirmed.

Neil and Susan found nothing to answer. The man closed his fists, ready to fight, but there were too many witnesses, so he just angrily looked at them before walking away with his wife. Constance looked at them walking away, to be sure it was over, while Joyce turned to Max to ask:

- "Are you okay?"

- "Yeah, yeah," Max answered, a bit dazed. "Thank you."

- "You don't need to thank me, it's okay," Joyce warmly smiled.

Max weakly nodded. Joyce kissed her cheek to reassure her before taking care of the groceries with the others, letting Jane and Max together.

- "I told you to not fight with him," Max said with an annoyed tone.

- "I wasn't going to fight."

- "I know, you would have let him punch you, and it's worse! I don't want you to be hurt!"

- "And I don't want you to be hurt either! And we were not alone, I knew Joyce and Constance would do something, I just wanted to be sure he wouldn't reach you before."

- "You're a cute but annoying girlfriend."

- "I know," Jane softly smiled. "Come on, let's stay with them, just in case they come back."

- "I don't think they will, I think Joyce and Constance kinda scared them."

- "Yeah, well, I would have been scared too!"

Max had an amused sigh. The two girls joined the others and finished their groceries shopping without trouble. Constance and Robin went in Robin's car while all the other teens went with Joyce. When they arrived at the apartment, Max went directly to the kitchen to prepare the meal. Joyce and Will joined her to help her while Robin, Constance, and Jane were setting the table. 

The diner was pleasant, everyone was in a good mood, sharing funny stories about each other or about themselves. Joyce was proud to have the idea to reunite all of them for a night like that. After the meal they watched a movie before separating to join the bedrooms. Joyce prepared Jonathan's room for Constance and Robin. Will kept his room while Jane obviously went to Max's. The brunette laid down on the bed while Max was finishing to put her pajamas.