Chapter 45 : Phone Number

The next day, Max was as angry as the day before, if not more. She decided to stay at home this day, but she got quickly bored and thought she was calmer than when she woke up. She didn't want to stay alone in the apartment, so she packed her backpack and left the place to take the bus. She arrived in front of the building. It was lunch time so there were lots of people outside. But one person caught her attention. She saw a black-haired boy with a sad expression on his face, sitting on the steps in front of the building. She walked to him and sat next to him.

- "Hey," the redhead said.

- "Hey," Troy answered.

The two teens were not very close to each other, the only link they had in common was Jane. Max was feeling a bit awkward, but she didn't want to let him alone, he seemed to struggle as much as her.

- "How are you?" she asked.

- "I don't know...I was in French and...well, I was supposed to have it with her. It was long and boring; I couldn't stop wondering what she would have said at this or that moment."

- "Yeah, I understand."

- "What about you? Abigail told me you were there when...you know."

- "Yeah...I always see her laying on the ground everywhere I go, even in my dreams, I just see her dying in front of me, and I can't do anything!"

Max had never talked about those bad dreams she had been having since the Winter dance. And since last time, it became worse and worse. That sensation of powerlessness wasn't leaving her, she was feeling weak and useless.

- "I've never thanked you for intervening at the Winter dance when she had her first heart attack."

- "Don't mention it, I wasn't going to let her die!"

- "I know, but I still want to thank you, so thank you."

- "No problem," he softly smiled.

He gave a friendly tap on her back which surprised her.

- "Did you visit her?"

- "No...I know I should, but I don't think I'm ready for this...It's ridiculous."

- "No, don't worry. I know it's hard, and I'm sure she would understand," Max reassured.

- "Yeah, but I'll visit her, I can do that for her."

Max nodded. As they felt a bit better, the two teens stood to go inside. They went to the cafeteria and separated to join their friends. Max found hers and sat at their table.

- "Oh, hey! I thought you were supposed to stay home today!" Will stated.

- "Yeah, but I was bored."

- "How do you feel?" Beverly asked.

- "I don't know...I'm still furious but I guess I can't do anything anyway so...I'm trying to keep living."

- "Great, we're happy to hear that."

- "But, maybe you shouldn't have come," Dustin said.

- "Why?" Max frowned.

- "We have chemistry after lunch."

Max's face paled. She completely forgot about that. She knew it wouldn't be the same without Jane not understanding a thing of the work they would do. She felt a knot in her stomach, like if she was sick, but knew it was the stress of this other moment without Jane. The others noticed that Max was lost in her thoughts and all looked at each other, a bit worried for her.

- "Um, you can work with us if you want," Bev intervened.

- "No, no, it's fine. I can do it."

- "You don't have to," Dustin said.

- "It's okay. I have to...I have to get used to it. We all have to."

- "I don't want to," Lucas told. "She will survive, Jane is the strongest and bravest person I know, she didn't hesitate to protect me with her own body when those assholes pointed a gun at me, and she had fought Leukemia at a too young age and for years! It's not a weak heart that will bump her off, believe me."

Max was impressed by Lucas's confidence, she wished she had the same. His confidence seemed to be contagious, all her friends were energetically nodding, agreeing with him. But seeing them like that gave her some hope. Maybe he was right. Jane was tough, there was no way for her to not make it.

A bit farther, on another table, Abigail was eating alone. Max was looking at her, having some anger towards her. But if Abigail hadn't been here to bring Jane to Joyce, maybe Jane would be dead right now, alone in the cold streets of Brooklyn. She didn't know why, but she felt the need to go to talk to her. She stood and went to her table.

- "Oh, sorry, you want this place, I'm moving," Abigail said, taking her tray in her hands to move.

- "What? No! Stay here! You look pathetic enough!" the redhead answered.

- "Oh, okay...How can I help you?"

- "My god! What happened to you!? I'm not saying that I miss the old bitch Abigail, but now you really look..."

- "I know, pathetic. I guess I let guilt take control of my body..."

- "Yeah, whatever! I just wanted to say that...it was a great thing that you were here when Jane had her second heart attack."

- "Oh, uh, well, I'm glad I was here to help her instead of breaking her for once."

- "Yeah," Max sharply answered.

- "How is she?" Abigail shyly asked.

- "Bad."

Abigail sadly nodded. Max was about to go back to her friends, but Abigail grabbed her arm to stop her. The redhead really wanted to smack her face right now.

- "Don't be angry, I just...I was wondering if there was a way for one of you to give me news about her."

- "You're kidding, right!?"

- "Uh..."

Max knew she wasn't kidding. She brutally freed herself. She was going to leave, but she stopped before turning to the blonde girl and holding her out a piece of paper.

- "Write your phone number, I'll give it to Will."

The blonde girl didn't hesitate and obeyed. Max walked away with the paper before giving it to Will when she reached the table.

- "What is it?" he frowned.

- "Abigail's number, you'll give her news about Jane."

- "Um...okay."

Will didn't ask more. If Max accepted her to give her number, she must begin to trust her a little bit. And he was happy to have it, Abigail seemed different since she learned about Jane's condition. He always knew people could change, and he was glad to see one of their bullies becoming touched by one of them, being able to realize they went too far for nothing. Yeah, he would send her messages, to know how she was. He was sure she wasn't a bad girl.