Chapter 2 : Swimsuit

Jane grumbled in her pillow when she heard her alarm clock. She hit it with her fist and closed her eyes again. Only a few minutes. Until she felt someone shaking her again and again.

- "Jane! JANE!"

Jane started and quickly opened her eyes to see her sister above her.

- "Wh-what?" Jane frowned.

- "It's 7:40!"

- "What!? (looks at her alarm clock) Oh no! FUCK!"

Jane jumped of her bed and began to get ready while Constance left the room to give her some privacy. It was her first day and she already missed her bus! There was no way for her to arrive in time. She grabbed the first clothes she saw: blue jeans, black tee-shirt with written "Bad Mood" on it, and a grey hoodie. She put her shoes, took her bag, and left the house in running without eating something. She ran throughout the gardens of her neighbors before arriving in the middle of the buildings of the city. She crossed the roads, avoiding the cars honking at her, entered the empty high school, went to the secretary to have her new schedule, and ran again to the room of her first class. She burst into the room without knocking and froze when she met her teacher's eyes on her, the other teens looking at her too.

- "Uh...hi," Jane said.

- "Go to your seat, Brown," the teacher answered, rolling his eyes.

- "Thank you."

Jane joined her seat at the back of the room and rubbed her face while she was trying to calm her breathing. The redhead in front of her turned to her and said:

- "Late the first day? Good job!"

- "Haha, you have nothing better to do!?"

The redhead smiled to her which relaxed her. Max had been her best friend for years; they met at kindergarten and never left each other, even when Jane had to go in a different middle school due to money problems. Jane took off her notebook and pens from her bag to put them on her desk before leaning to her left where another best friend of hers was sitting, a young black boy with short black hair, wearing a basket-ball jersey.

- "Lucas, what did I miss?"

- "Nothing important, just a boring speech about the last year and how important it is, blah blah blah," he murmured.

The girl with short red hair sitting in front of him turned to Jane too to ask:

- "We're going to the lake after school, you're coming?"

- "Um, yeah, but I work at 6."

- "You don't have to swim if you don't want to, just to stay with us, if it's okay, of course."

- "Yeah, sure, no problem, I love watching people swimming."

The girl chuckled before turning to the teacher again. Beverly had been in the same middle school as her and she had had no struggle to become friend with Jane's old friends.

The first class was boring, Jane struggled to not fall asleep, but she didn't, and she was proud of it. She put her stuff back in her bag and stood with her friends before splitting to join their lockers. Jane walked with Max as their lockers were just at a few centimeters of each other. The redhead spent the time of their walking talking about the new recipes she learnt this summer and that she wanted Jane to taste them. Jane thought Max was amazing, she had a shitty life, but she never lost her optimism and her desire to live. Max wanted to become a cook, not just a cook, the best cook of the world. It sounded like a child dream, but Jane thought there was no shame to dream, and she was sure that Max would become an amazing cook.