Chapter 6

Eli was no longer in the mood to speak with anyone at the moment, so rather than jump to another location on Earth he went back to Destiny. It was quiet, calm and gave him all the time he needed to think. He started to wander around the ships hallways, looking around to make sure everything was still tip top. There was nothing for him to do but look around. Eli stopped when he found out that he walked all the way over to the stasis chambers that were holding his friends in their deep slumbers. He walked into the room and started to inspect the pods to make sure everyone was sleeping and still alive for that matter. Everything seemed good from what he could see. The pods were not draining much power from Destiny's fragile supply, and were holding just fine. Eli looked over Rush's Pod and grinned at him. "You'd be so pissed if you knew where I went."

     "Why do you say that, Eli?" a voice called from the other end of the room.

     Eli was startled at first, but when he turned around he recognized the old man standing a few meters from him. It was Marrec, one of the ancient elders. It was weird to see the old man on board the ancient ship. "What are you doing here?"

     "Just looking around." the old man replied. "You're not the only one who likes this magnificent spacecraft." He walked over to the pod that Eli was looking at. "Dr. Rush I presume?" he said with a smile.

     "Yes." Eli confirmed.

     "Why would he be upset to learn of your ascension?" Marrec asked.

     "Well, he's wanted to ascend for sometime." Eli answered.

     Marrec grinned. "When his time comes, you are allowed to assist him with his ascension if you so wish."

     "I can?" Eli asked.

     "When one of us helps another ascend, it's like you're recommending that person to our people as worthy to be among us." Marrec explained. "That increases someone's odds of fully ascending to our plane of existence."

     "I see." Eli said. "Rush is under the impression that he can visit his wife if he were to ascend."

     "He would be correct." the old man confirmed.

     "He is?" Eli asked, somewhat shocked.

    "We do have the ability to to back and forth in space time." Marrec explained. "This is why the code non-interference are so important to us. We could go back and change history if we so choose but don't because we must respect the humans and the choices they make, regardless of how good or bad the outcome is."

     "I guess the temptation to interfere is greater knowing that." Eli admitted. "How is it that no one has done it more often?"

    "Many have tried and have been harshly punished for it." Marrec answered. "Dr. Jackson tried to use his powers to fight a system lord named Anubis, but it was not his fight. He was directly interfering in not only the fate of mankind, but the entire universe. That was the first time in centuries we had to step in and stop someone. Despite what good Dr. Jackson has done since then, there are some elders who are still irritated at what he attempted to get away with when he was among us."

     "They sure know how to hold a grudge, eh?" Eli asked.

     "Indeed." Marrec simply answered.

     "Is what I'm doing here interference?" Eli asked. "Am I not interfering in the natural course of their future?"

     "We debated that a short time ago." Marrec replied. "And while some of us think it is, but many of us agreed the 'sacrifice' you made to save your crew mates was noble. It would be upsetting of you were not allowed to help and something were to happen which would mean your sacrifice was in made in vain."

     "I really do appreciate that." Eli said.

    "Truth is, you're not the first ascended being to hang around here and make sure the ship continued on its mission." Marrec said as he ran his hand along one of the bulk heads. "Some of us have trouble walking away from our work."

      "Your work?" Eli asked.

     "This vessel and it's mission was my life's work when I was on this plane of existence. It was the only thing that mattered." Marrec patted Eli on the shoulder as he walked past him. "You would imagine my surprise when you and your friends arrived from the Icarus Gate. Destiny has seen better days, but it's still flying and that's all that matters."

     "This is your ship?" Eli said trying to wrap his mind around it. "You built Destiny?"

     "I was one of it's engineers who constructed it, yes." Marrec answered.

     Eli pondered that for a moment. "This means you're a member of what Dr. Jackson referred to in his video as the 'Anquietas' ancients: The gate builders."

     "That is correct. I am one of the gate builders, but I won't take all the credit. I had a lot of help." Marrec replied with a grin.

     "Would you be able to help me?" Eli asked.

     "What help would you need from me?" Marrec replied.

     "You know the ship. You can help me fix a few things to make sure the power we have left will be enough to make it." Eli suggested. "You said it wasn't interference to make sure they made it."

    "No, but if we were to fiddle with the panels as they are now, they might explode." Marrec confessed. "They're too sensitive and could result in a loss of power." He walked to the hallway and turned back to face Eli. "Find an alternate source of power to back up the panels. Then we could work on them without worrying about messing things up. Until then, I wouldn't recommend touching anything."

    Eli was going to ask another question but Marrec had disappeared. He looked to his left at the pod that contained Chloe. "You're going to make it Chloe, I promise." Eli kissed his hand than and placed it on the pod, holding back a tear. Moments later, Eli disappeared. He teleported to speak with the one person who might be able to help him resolve the Destiny's sensitive power issue.