Chapter 10

Eli remembered sitting down and talking to Daniel for at least twenty minutes. The ribs as he remembered were amazing but he only managed to eat a few before things changed. He was no longer in Jack O'Neil's house, but in a large black void. Eli realized something had gone wrong and took a deep breath. "I didn't break any rules!" he called out.

     "We know." A voice replied.

     Eli turned around and Marrec was there with several other ascended elders. Some of them didn't look too happy. "So why am I here?"

     "We were very happy how you were handling the conversation, but many of us were still very nervous considering who you were speaking with." Marrec answered.

     "Dr. Jackson?" Eli answered. "I was only talking to him about Destiny. And mostly about stuff that he could have gotten from Col. Telford."

     "We know you were being careful, Eli." Marrec said as he walked closer. "It's just that the elders are still nervous around Dr. Jackson and would prefer that you not speak with him anymore."

     "I see." Eli said as he underestimated how sensitive the elders were. "I'm not going to be punished, am I?"

     "No." Marrec said, "But we have discussed your situation at great length and everyone has agreed to a compromise. I'm hoping you will side with us on this one and accept our suggestion."

     "Which is?" Eli answered.

     "Right now your body is in a state of suspended animation." Marrec answered. "Usually your body is absorbed when one ascends, but the elders wanted to keep that intact just in case. Think of it as an insurance policy."

     "They're that upset about Dr. Jackson that all ascended beings from Earth are gonna have to put up with this?" Eli asked.

     "I'm afraid so."

     "That sucks."

     "Indeed."

     "So what is your great idea?" Eli asked.

     "You are to stay here with us for three years." Marrec answered. "When Destiny reaches its new galaxy, we shall return you to your body. Even with Dr. Rush at their side, we are confident that the crew of the Destiny will be lost without your assistance. Their survival is dependent on your survival."

     "I'm flattered." Eli said.

     "So you agree with our assessment?"

     "So I have to stay here?"

     "Yes, no more casual visits to earth."

     "What about Destiny?"

     Marrec smiled. "I had a feeling you would ask that. We will allow you to visit Destiny to check up on them and make sure they're safe. Since no one is awake and can see you, the Elders as you say will be cool with that."

     "Then we have a deal." Eli said as he extended his hand.

     Marrec shook it. "We appreciate your co-operation Mr. Wallace. Despite their hesitation, you are slowly mending the trust that Dr. Jackson ruined many years ago."

     "So does that start right now?" Eli asked.

     "Not yet." Marrec said. "We also agreed to let you see one more person before your banishment from Earth begins. We have set something up so you will not be interrupted by Col. Telford this time."

     Eli paused for a moment. "Thank you."

    "Come with me Eli." Marrec said as he grabbed his shoulder and walked with him. Seconds later they were in a large park.

     There were dogs, kids playing on swings and slides. Far away on her own was a woman, sitting on a bench and eating her lunch. Eli recognized her and smiled back to his elder. "Thank you, Marrec."

    "You only have a few moments, Mr. Wallace." Marrec answered. "There is a spy watching her from a distance. We have placed a small barrier around her. Time outside of it has slowed down outside it so they will not see you until its too late. Speak with her, and say good bye. She will not be hearing from you for another three years."

     Eli nodded and stepped forward. He could feel the field Marrec was talking about as he stepped through it. As he did, the clothes he was wearing had changed. He was no longer wearing a white robe, but was dressed in blue three piece suit with a baby blue tie. Was a very smart move by Marrec as the military was looking for a kid in a white robe rather than some dude in sharp suit. Eli walked up to the lady sitting on the bench and cracked a big smile. "Hi Mom."

     She looked back up and couldn't believe what she was seeing. Not only was it her boy, but he was looking better than ever. "Eli?" She looked around. "But how?"

     "I'm not allowed to explain, and I don't have too much time." He walked up to her and gave her a big hug. "I've missed you so much."

     "I missed you too." His mother said as she sat back down. Eli walked over and sat down beside her. "What's going on?"

     "To be honest, we're sleeping." Eli answered. It was partly true. "I am here because of something I learned from a friend. Kind of like ESP but I'm all right. The ship is travelling between galaxies, and it's going to take three years for it to make the trip."

     Eli spent the next several minutes describing why they had to go into stasis and that she would have to be strong and wait for him. His mother nodded and reached over to hold his hand. "I believe in you, Eli." She said with a smile. "You are capable of doing anything as long as you put your mind to it. I will wait here as long as I can. I will never give up on you."

     Eli wiped a tear from his eye. "You have no idea what that means to hear you say that."

     "It's time to go, Eli." A voice whispered into his ear.

     Eli stood up. "I have to go, Mom. I love you."

     She stood up and hugged him again. "You come back to me when you can." She ordered.

     "I will, I promise." Eli answered. "I need you to sit down and close your eyes."

     Eli's mother did as she was told. She sat there and waited as long as she could. "How long should I do this." She opened her eyes and the answer was evident. Eli had vanished and was gone.

     Eli had beamed away from Earth and was back with the elders and the other ascended beings again. Back in his robe and in the village where it all started. He looked back to Marrec with a beam of pride. "Thank you very much."

     "It is I who should thank you, Mr. Wallace." Marrec said with as smile. "It's not easy taking care of that ship, and the job will only get harder when you go back."

     "I will do my best." Eli said with a smile. "Especially since I'll have to deal with Rush. I hope the next time I kick the bucket you'll be willing to take me back."

    This time it was Marrec's turn to smile. "The odds are slightly in your favour Mr. Wallace. More than one of us up here gained a new respect for you. You are welcome to return when your time is up on your plane of existence."

    "Thank you." Eli said as he looked around. He was back in the village that he first saw when he ascended. "So three years, eh?"

     "It will seem a lot longer up here." Marrec confessed.

     "So I guess I should hit the book and catch up on some reading, eh?"

     "A wise decision, Mr. Wallace." Marrec patted the young man on the shoulder. "I would strongly suggest you read and memorize the engineering specs of the ship called Destiny. I heard the man who wrote them was quite a smart fellow…"

     Eli watched the old man walk away and it dawned on him what was being suggested. Eli ran off for his tent to do some more studying. He had three years to learn as much about that ship and the galaxy it was travelling to before it was too late.