Chapter 5

When Eli opened his eyes, he was no longer in General Landry's office. He was back at the house that he had lived in his entire life before leaving for the Icarus project. He walked around the house looking for his mother, but she wasn't home. Eli had all the time in the world, so he walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. For the first time in years, he grabbed the remote and turned the television on, and just spent the next few minutes channel surfing. He put his feet up on the coffee table, which he knew always upset his Mom but he'd put them down when she got back.

     Eli left the television on the Sci-fi network, but started to get the munchies. He wandered to the kitchen and tossed a bag of popcorn into the microwave. While he really didn't need food anymore, Eli enjoyed the idea of watch the tube and munching on something while waiting for his Mom to come home. He was back on the couch with his popcorn when he heard the door open. Eli took his feet off the coffee table and sat up. "I'm in the living room!" he called out.

     Eli was expecting to see his Mom, but someone else walked into the room instead. "Hello Eli." he said as he walked into the living room.

      Eli put the popcorn down on the coffee table. "Col. Telford. I wasn't expecting to see you here."

     "I spoke with General Landry." Telford answered as he slowly walked into the room. "I'm not here to arrest you or anything, I just want to talk. Is that all right?"

      "I guess so." Eli replied.

      Telford walked closer and paused for a moment. "Are you watching TV?" he asked.

    "They're doing a Star Wars marathon. They don't get cable on a higher plane." Eli replied sarcastically.

      Telford chuckled as he sat down on the chair opposite of the couch Eli was in. "Glad to see you still have your sense of humor. Usually death tends to have an effect on that."

      "I didn't die, I ascended." Eli corrected. He really didn't need to fool around with Telford. If he had spoken to Landry, odds are he was fully aware of what was going on.

     "Landry said you couldn't repair the last stasis pod." Telford said with a sigh. "That's a tough break, Eli."

      "I did what I could with the situation." Eli replied. "Everyone on Destiny is doing all right and the ship still seems to have the power to stay in FTL long enough to get to the next drone free galaxy."

     "That's considering nothing goes wrong over the next three years." Telford added.

    "Nothing will. I'll be there to monitor it all the way." Eli corrected. "I'll be around to watch and ensure Destiny makes it."

      "Wouldn't that be against the rules of non-interference?" Telford asked.

      "It might be... I'll have to pass it by the boss first." Eli answered honestly.

     Before Telford could say another word, the door opened and two people came through. Mrs. Maryann Wallace was coming home with groceries, and was with Ms. Sharon Walker. They did their shopping together every week to spend time together and talk about their loved ones on Destiny. When Mrs. Wallace realized Telford was in the house she let out a small shriek and dropped her bags. Ms. Walker recognized who was there and didn't seem impressed. "What are you doing in here, Telford?" she harshly asked.

      "Well I was just talking to..." he turned back to the couch, but Eli was gone. Telford paused for a moment. "Nevermind. I was actually waiting to deliver a message, from Destiny."

      Mrs. Wallace looked back up from her groceries. "Is everyone all right? How is Eli?"

    "That's the message." Telford said with a smile. "Everyone is all right and things are well. I wanted you to be the first to know about it, Mrs. Wallace. I didn't mean to startle you. The door was already open when I got here."

      "Oh that's all right." Mrs. Wallace said as she gave him a big hug. "Thank you for the message."

     "You're welcome Mrs. Wallace." Telford said as he picked up her bags. "Let me help you with this." He walked into the kitchen and put the groceries on the counter. After helping out, he said good bye and walked out the door. Halfway back to his car, he was stopped by Ms. Walker.

      "You're hiding something." she said accusingly.

       "I am, but I didn't lie." Telford replied. "Everyone on Destiny is doing all right."

      "Are they in danger?" Walker asked.

      "No more than they were before." Telford answered. "There have been some developments but nothing has changed since I last updated you."

      "So they're still asleep?" she then asked.

      "Yes, and power in the FTL seems to be holding strong for now." he added.

      "Thank God." Walker said wiping a tear from her face.

    "I'll let you know if I get any other information, but I really must go." Telford didn't wait for a response and walked back to his car. He was upset that he couldn't speak with Eli more, but would have to wait for his next chance. For now he would have to put surveillance on his mother's home and hope that Eli makes another attempt to visit her. Now all he could do is wait.