Chapter 2

Eli took the rest of the day, or at least what seemed like the rest of the day to him, to get to know his new friends. The nice lady that helped him from the field was Ju' lo and the man that also helped him up was an elder named Marrec. Everyone was happy to see Eli, and walked him back to a small hut that they had cleared to make room for him. There was a nice cot to sleep on, a table like desk for him to read or study at, and even something to write on should he want to make notes.

 "I hope this is to your liking, Eli." Ju' lo said to him as the walked in.

 "This is perfect." Eli said as he looked around. "I'm just curious about something."

 "What is it?" Ju' lo asked.

 "Why do advanced beings live in what looks like a pre-industrial society. Like we are on a higher plane but it doesn't feel like it based on what I see." he explained. "I don't mean to be insulting, but it seems rather weird to me."

 "It's different for everyone, Eli." Ju' lo explained. "The mind creates an environment that is easiest for the mind to handle. So for you, your mind thought this was the best to work with. When Daniel Jackson came up, his mind pictured a Diner that he used to visit in a city called Seattle."

 "So this all looks different to you?" Eli asked.

 "To me I'm back on Atlantis, Showing you to your quarters. The only thing that stays the same for everyone is what we are wearing. Hence why we all look the same." Ju' lo replied. "I'm quite surprised by your selection as well. Most of could have sworn yours would be similar to Destiny."

 "Perhaps my mind was sick and tired of living there too." Eli suggested.

 "Perhaps." Ju' lo concurred, "But you're free to go back whenever you want."

 "I am?" Eli asked.

 "We are ascended beings. We are free to go anywhere we want in the Universe as long as we follow the rules." Ju' lo replied. "But you need to learn the rules and gain knowledge of how things work her before the elders let you start wandering around."

"Seems fair." Eli agreed, "I mean you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car until you have your license."

"Excuse me?" Ju' lo asked.

"Nevermind." Eli replied. "I have no problems doing whatever is asked of me. I'm just happy to be here at all. I didn't think I was going to make it."

"That makes two of us." Ju' lo said with a smile. "But we are just as happy to see you."

"Thanks. I was kind of worried I wouldn't be accepted." Eli confessed.

"A few of the elders are concerned after the actions of Dr. Jackson, but if you follow the rules I am sure they will come around as well." Ju' lo replied. "In the mean time, it is time for you to enlighten yourself."

"Enlighten myself?" Eli repeated. "How do I accomplish that?"

"With this." Ju' lo said as she opened the door and someone else walked into the hut with a rather large looking book in his hands. The book itself looked very, very old and the elder who walked in with it placed it down on the table with a thud.

Eli walked over and opened the book. He couldn't believe what he saw and flipped through a few pages. Confused, he looked back at Ju' lo. "The pages are all blank?"

"This is the book of infinte knowledge." Ju' lo said as she walked over. "Open the book to any page you like and ask a question, any question. It will reveal the answer to you no matter how personal or secret the question is. This will allow you to gain the knowledge of everything that has gone on in the Universe."

"So when is this due to return to the library?" Eli asked.

"Never. It's yours to keep." Ju' lo answered. "But as per our rules, it must remain here in your room. You cannot take it anywhere with you."

"Understood." Eli said as he sat down. "This will be interesting."

"Start with small questions, and then eventually you will know everything." Ju' lo said as she walked to the exit of his hut. "You have all the time you'll ever need."

After she left the hut, Eli looked back at the book. He opened to a random blank page. He paused for a moment. "Why are green olives in glass jars when black olives come in cans?"

Slowly the book began to write something down for him. "Green olives are in jars so you can see what they are stuffed with."

"Wow, I guess it works." Eli said to himself as he sat up in his chair. He sat there for a few moments, trying to think of what he wanted to ask next. There were so many questions flying through his head but for some reason he didn't want to ask that one. Finally he came to a question he had been dying to know for a very long time. He looked down at the book. "I want to know what happened between Dr. Rush and Colonel Young the day that Dr. Rush disappeared."

Rather than write down the answer... the book started to show slivers of colour until the entire page became like a com panel, playing a video for him to watch. Eli was blown away from the magical looking trick the book was peforming before him, but like Ju' lo explained to him earlier, probably what she saw was him playing with a control panel in his quarters in Atlantis. He watched the video as it showed Colonel Young and Dr. Rush talking outside the alien spacecraft. Eli then watched in shock as the two of them began to fight, one which ended shorted as Colonel Young beating Rush rather easily and knocking him to the ground.

"Are we done?" the Colonel asked Rush.

"We'll never be done!" Rush roared back at him.

With that, the Colonel grabbed Rush by the collar and drove his own forehead into Rush's, knocking the weak scientist out with a vicious head butt. Eli watched in shock as the Colonel left Rush there and walked back to the gate.

"Where's Rush?" Greer asked as Young approached the Gate.

"He didn't make it." Young answered. "Let's get out of here."

Eli slammed the book closed. "That son of a bitch!"

Eli stood up and paced around the room, brewing over what he had just witnessed for what seemed like hours but was probably about a half hour. Eli let his emotions get the best of him but now he had the power. He sat back down and opened the book again. As of that moment, everyone on board Destiny as well as anyone in the SGC or on the planet earth that Eli could think of for that matter no longer had the ability to keep a secret. Not from Eli that was...