💊💉 Health Corner 💉💊

Here is an article about honey and its numerous benefits. It is more than just a food additive and sweetener...

Enjoy!

A gold mine of health benefits, honey is a thick liquid that is obtained from the nectar of flowers by bees. Produced by bees and marketed by various companies, the color of honey can range from a clear light amber color to a dark golden-brown color. Honey’s color, taste, texture, crystallisation speed and aroma can vary largely on the location of the honey production, the variety of flowers used to obtain nectar and it’s storage condition.

Honey is used a sweetener, as a spread on the morning toast, as an Ayurvedic medicinal treatment and owing to it’s multiple hair and skin benefits, for beauty purposes too. Known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, natural honey has become a part of many popular home remedies for healing wounds and preventing external pathogens from attacking the damaged cells of your body. Loaded with ample amounts of fructose and glucose, honey is rich in healthy calories. About a teaspoon of honey can provide you with a total of 43 calories. Ayurveda has been using honey as a treatment for respiratory and digestive ailments since almost 5000 years. Let’s take a look at the most important benefits of honey that make it a must-have for everyday consumption by all members of your family. If you are looking to buy a jar of honey, have a look at the best brands of honey to buy in India with no added sugar.

Fun Fact About Honey!

Did you know that honey is 80% sugar and 20% water.

What are the Benefits of Honey?

1) Honey Is Loaded With Antioxidants

Honey is loaded with antioxidants such as phenol and flavonoids and can be highly beneficial when it comes to tackling any inflammation or damages related to high oxidative stress in your body. Anti-oxidants also help in strengthening the immune system. Moreover, the intake of antioxidants is linked with a reduced risk of muscular degeneration, as they prevent free radical damage, which is usually caused by the natural process of aging.

Flavonoids and phenols are a certain special category of antioxidants that are usually found in plant sap, hence honey, being extracted by honey-bees from flowering plants, is quite rich in these forms of antioxidants.

2) Honey Helps In Digestion

Antioxidants are known to be free-radical scavengers, and thanks to the antioxidants present in honey, it is responsible for reducing the risk of free-radical damage that can act as a causing factor for the inflammation of your intestines, further resulting in indigestion. Honey, which is evidently rich in anti-oxidants, can prove to be a perfect choice for curing indigestion.

Consumption of honey is also helpful when it comes to tackling acid reflux. Acid reflux is a digestive problem that occurs when the acids in the stomach irritate the lining of the food pipe. Apart from the antioxidant content in honey, which prevents the free radicals from damaging the cells of your food pipe, the texture of honey itself acts as a mucous membrane and can cause long-lasting relief from reflux discomfort.

Honey’s antioxidant properties help in preventing the free-radical induced inflammation, which further aids in getting rid of the symptoms of indigestion

3) Honey Is A Natural Remedy For Cough And Cold

According to a research in which honey was tested against a common cold medicine called dextromethorphan, it was suggested that honey is considered as one of the most favorable remedies in order to cure a common cold and cough. Honey acts as an effective cough suppressant, and is widely consumed due to its high availability across the world (1). Honey’s viscous texture is also suitable for relieving you from that irritation caused by the mucus formation in the throat during coughing.