• Chapter Seven •

𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐
• ———— •

"You're going to destroy that target on it's first day" Hazel pointed out with a soft smile, Winter glanced over at her and shrugged, pulling the final arrow from the quiver and drawing it back. "I can find other targets" he replied a little cryptically, shooting the arrow against the bullseye which had countless holes in it already.

The cold evening air pinched at Winter's skin, his cheeks and nose turned red from the hours he's spent out here practicing. No one could take him away from his peaceful solitude, not that they'd want to. It's the first time he's appeared genuinely contented so they'd sometimes glance out the kitchen window to make sure everything was alright before going back to the mundane tasks for that day.

Now the sun had set and the night sky hovering above them it was time to return inside, Winter was a little hesitant about it though.

"C'mon, we have a surprise for you" Hazel encouraged, walking over to him and crossing her arms over her chest. Winter drew his eyebrows together, stuffing the arrows back inside the quiver. "I hate surprises" he muttered bitterly, swinging the bag onto his back. Hazel rolled her eyes fondly, "fine, I'll tell you. Promise not to snitch on me?" She giggled slyly.

Winter nodded, "tell me"

"We're taking you to a restaurant. Dad and dad still feel bad about what happened yesterday, I don't think Sage and Kennedy feel less guilty either. It's sort of a reward for being so cool with your bow-" she tapped the weapon lightly, "and an apology for what happened"

Winter paused, then scoffed. "I don't care about what happened"

"Well they do, c'mon, give them a chance? Please?" She even poked out her bottom lip, clasping her hands together before her chest. Winter's expression deadpanned, wondering if she was serious, and she was. With a long sigh Winter agreed, fiddling awkwardly with the bow as he did. Hazel cheered in delight and skipped inside with Winter following, he shut the door behind them and left the bow on the kitchen counter, tensely standing in the doorway to the living room.

"Finally manage to hit the target?" Xai mocked, Winter sent him a sneer. "You're lucky I didn't miss, jerk"

"Alright you two" Sage interrupted, "Winter, wanna sit down?" He gestured to a free spot on the couch, Winter glanced at it with a curled lip. "No" he responded, making a point to seem even further relaxed against the doorframe. Sage pinched his nose, "you're stubbornness will be my downfall- anyway" he waved off, leaning back into the loveseat.

"We're all going to a restaurant for dinner, as a reward for your skills with the bow" he explained, Winter mildly glanced at Hazel who beamed, squashed beside her brother who seemed bitter over the fact, muttering to himself about needing more space.

He wanted to say no and demand he stay behind but he knew it wouldn't work. None of them would allow him to stay home alone and the whole evening would be ruined for them all. Adding onto the fact he already told Hazel yes he couldn't exactly back out now.

"I've never been to a restaurant" he pointed out, "they probably wouldn't even let me in" he added, muttering.

"Don't be so dramatic" Dallas groaned, "sure they'll let you in"

"Just don't look like a slob" Xai added, "coming from you?" Kennedy quipped, Xai slowly looked over to him. "Sage, I think your bitch's upset he can't pull off leather like I can" he pointed out, faintly smirking, popping the color of his black leather jacket. Kennedy scoffed, "I wouldn't want to look like a wannabe-gangster, jackass"

"Gangster?" Xai dismissed, "I'm the mob boss"

"What is happening?" Winter broke in, gazing between Dallas and Sage who both looked bored out of their minds. "Good point! Nothing is happening" Sage latched onto an escape, jumping up from beside Kennedy. "You'll be fine. We'll find a normal restaurant, casual dress, you'll fit in perfectly" he reassured. Still a little hesitant, thoughWinter internally admitted Sage's words calmed him down enough to verbally agree.