• Chapter Two •

𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐
• ———— •

"I fucking hate waiting rooms" Dallas grumbled, hands wedged between his thighs to keep them warm. Beside him Xai lifted his arm, offering a cuddle which Dallas greatly appreciated, leaning into his side pleasantly. They were never afraid to show affections in public, damned what anyone said about their relationship - they were in love and that's all that mattered to them.

Kennedy was always that bit hesitant due to reasons in his past, everyone knew but no one mentioned it. Not even Xai who during their worst fights bit his tongue. Sage never minded, he could kiss, cuddle and melt Kennedy in his hands when they were alone together - that's all that mattered to him.

"We shouldn't even be in this mess, hell, we don't even know the kid" Sage brought up but even if he declared it nothing could make him go home before he knew the kid was okay. Kennedy slumped in his chair, man-spreading his legs and keeping his eyes locked on the doorway.

"And he was a bitch" Dallas tacked on, obviously less caring for the young stranger. Sage tossed him a half hearted glare but didn't have the energy to combat his apathy. "Whatever" Xai suddenly declared, "once we know he's fine we'll leave, deal?"

"Never make a deal with you" Kennedy muttered under his breath, making a halted groan when Sage elbowed his gut.

"Deal" he answered for them, Kennedy curled his lips but stayed silent. "Deal" Dallas murmured. Xai brought up his hand to play with Dallas' hair, then leaned down to start peppering kisses across his cheek and neck. The smaller man leaned into him, eyes screwing shut in pleasure.

Kennedy scowled, "get a room"

"Get out of this one" Xai snapped back, Kennedy rolled his eyes. "Way ahead of you-" before he could stand the doors swung open, everyone looked over to see a doctor, gripping a clipboard in his hands.

"Are you here for Winter?"

They all stood up, "his name is Winter?" Sage asked for confirmation, the doctor nodded with a grimace. "Fourth time in the past two months he's showed up here. All for the same reason. Catching himself a death in the cold, I don't understand. We give him the shelter yet he runs away from it like it's a wild bear in the woods" he exasperated, then sighed. "Would you like to see him?"

"More of a question would he like to see us" Xai muttered, the doctor tsk'd, "he's always like that at first. Spend enough time with him alone and he becomes..." the doctor hesitated, "tolerable. Follow me" he left the room and led the four adults down the white, sterile hallway, right where Winter was resting on a bed, hooked up to a few wires with warm thick blankets covering him. It was relieving to see he didn't appear so blue anymore, yet his icy glare didn't defrost, fixated on the window revealing nothing but the inky black sky.

"Winter, your- um.. guests are here" the doctor gestured. Winter glanced at them briefly, scowling when his suspicions were confirmed. The people who phoned an ambulance in the first place.

"How're you feeling?" Sage strode over to him, hands resting on the side of the bed. Winter shifted away from him in blatant discomfort, dragging the blankets closer to his body. "Leave me alone" he grumbled, not even sparing Sage a look.

"Someone's chipper" Xai drawled, arms crossed. "We saved you, y'know, could be polite" Dallas added, leaning on the wall awkwardly. By now the doctor had left, leaving them all to talk.