"You act like I'm going to do crack or something."

"Let's be honest right now. You did do crack before, and I'm pretty sure that shit started from you smoking weed. When it stops getting you high, you're going to look for something stronger."

"This is my last blunt...I promise." She looked over at him with a neutral expression. "You're right. Me smoking weed did lead to...crack. I'm not trying to go down that path again."

"Good."

"So, uh...what about you?"

Malcolm furrowed his brows as he looked over at her in confusion. 

"What about me?

"You drink...a lot, and that's not healthy. I struggled to get you in your car and up these stairs last night."

"You drove my car?"

"What choice did I have? You were drunk and couldn't drive. But that's beside the point; we're talking about your alcohol problem."

Malcolm sucked his teeth, not wanting to hear her lecture.

"No, you can't do that because you just told me not to smoke. Now it's my turn to tell you not to drink anymore."

"I just can't quit—cold turkey." Malcolm pushed out, rubbing his mustache. "You know I drink to...relax."

"Just like I smoke to relax."

"It's different, the situation is different, yo. Don't come at me like that."

Jersey set her laptop on the floor and turned around to eye Malcolm. A confused expression was etched across her face as she watched him closely.

"How is it different, Malcolm? Please, tell me."

"Your situation can lead to something more complicated; mine won't."

"Your situation can too. You could end up in a fatal car accident; your liver can fail, and so much more shit. Don't try to make it seem like drinking alcohol isn't bad because it is."

"Alright, whatever..." He trailed off while checking the time on his Blackberry. "Shit, I have to go in about an hour."

Jersey was relieved to hear him mutter those words. Gabriel would be over soon, and she didn't want him lingering around.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to meet Raymond at the coffee shop, and then I have a business meeting to attend at Givin' Back." Malcolm spilled while tapping away on his phone. "I'm about to hop in the shower."

Jersey nodded her head in confirmation. She'd remembered Raymond well. He was the talkative man at Frida's gathering. Malcolm informed her that he was not only Bernie's boyfriend but the family's lawyer as well.

However, that wasn't on her mind.

"When am I going to get an interview for the job?"

"You don't need an interview. I hired you." Malcolm replied.

With her round lips gaped, she pushed out, "oh."

"I did schedule your training, which begins soon." He continued. "You're going to be trained by the best—Mrs. Joana. She's an older woman who's been with Givin' Back for a long time."

"Well, that sounds great." Jersey voiced. "But what exactly does an executive associate do?"

Malcolm looked over at her and squinted his eyes. "You nervous?"

"I am." She ran her hand through her short, unkempt curls and said, "I don't think I'm qualified enough, Malcolm. I don't have a bachelor's degree nor a master's. My resume barely has jobs on it."